Sep 18, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
After a huge offseason spending spree, Kevin Cheveldayoff will be sticking around to see how it plays out.
On Wednesday, the Winnipeg Jets announced they’d agreed to terms with their GM on a two-year contract extension.
Cheveldayoff originally signed a five-year contract with the Jets and is headed into year three of said deal. It was obvious the organization didn’t want to see him go, as it has locked Cheveldayoff up through the 2017-18 campaign.
The 43-year-old has served in the GM’s role since the club moved from Atlanta in 2011 and was the man behind the aforementioned spending spree, dropping $93 million to secure the services of Zach Bogosian, Bryan Little and Blake Wheeler.
Prior to his time in Winnipeg, Cheveldayoff was the assistant GM in Chicago and part of the Hawks’ Cup-winning team in 2010.
No word yet on the length of extension, or the financial terms involved. Cheveldayoff will meet with the media later today, where he’s likely to face a number of questions about the Jets’ playoff aspirations.
Though they’ve posted solid numbers during Cheveldayoff’s tenure (an overall record of 61-56-13 and a 0.519 winning percentage), the haven’t made the playoffs since the 2007 season, as the Thrashers.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)