Sep 18, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT
After a huge offseason spending spree, Kevin Cheveldayoff will be sticking around to see how it plays out.
On Wednesday, the Winnipeg Jets announced they’d agreed to terms with their GM on a two-year contract extension.
Cheveldayoff originally signed a five-year contract with the Jets and is headed into year three of said deal. It was obvious the organization didn’t want to see him go, as it has locked Cheveldayoff up through the 2017-18 campaign.
The 43-year-old has served in the GM’s role since the club moved from Atlanta in 2011 and was the man behind the aforementioned spending spree, dropping $93 million to secure the services of Zach Bogosian, Bryan Little and Blake Wheeler.
Prior to his time in Winnipeg, Cheveldayoff was the assistant GM in Chicago and part of the Hawks’ Cup-winning team in 2010.
No word yet on the length of extension, or the financial terms involved. Cheveldayoff will meet with the media later today, where he’s likely to face a number of questions about the Jets’ playoff aspirations.
Though they’ve posted solid numbers during Cheveldayoff’s tenure (an overall record of 61-56-13 and a 0.519 winning percentage), the haven’t made the playoffs since the 2007 season, as the Thrashers.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)