Sep 18, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Usually, when Phoenix Coyotes enforcer Paul Bissonnette picks a fight, he has a good chance to win. Dropping the gloves with the NHL can be another matter, though.
The 28-year-old decided to appeal the 10-game automatic suspension he received from the league for leaving the bench to avenge his teammate Rostislav Klesla in a Sunday preseason exhibition against the Los Angeles Kings, AZ Central’s Sarah McLellan reports.
McLellan reminds us that the new CBA dictates that the appeals process goes through league commissioner Gary Bettman, then a neutral arbitrator.
One can only guess how much of a shot “BizNasty” has, though it might be especially tough to tackle an automatic punishment. (Maybe his argument will be that he didn’t violate Rule 70.10?)
The Coyotes can’t feel great about a situation in which Bissonnette gets a huge 10-game suspension for defending Klesla, who was injured thanks to a hit by Jordan Nolan, who didn’t face supplemental discipline. Perhaps Phoenix is getting a little revenge merely by keeping this situation in the general hockey discussion.
Unless Bissonnette wins this decision, of course.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)