Sep 18, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Usually, when Phoenix Coyotes enforcer Paul Bissonnette picks a fight, he has a good chance to win. Dropping the gloves with the NHL can be another matter, though.
The 28-year-old decided to appeal the 10-game automatic suspension he received from the league for leaving the bench to avenge his teammate Rostislav Klesla in a Sunday preseason exhibition against the Los Angeles Kings, AZ Central’s Sarah McLellan reports.
McLellan reminds us that the new CBA dictates that the appeals process goes through league commissioner Gary Bettman, then a neutral arbitrator.
One can only guess how much of a shot “BizNasty” has, though it might be especially tough to tackle an automatic punishment. (Maybe his argument will be that he didn’t violate Rule 70.10?)
The Coyotes can’t feel great about a situation in which Bissonnette gets a huge 10-game suspension for defending Klesla, who was injured thanks to a hit by Jordan Nolan, who didn’t face supplemental discipline. Perhaps Phoenix is getting a little revenge merely by keeping this situation in the general hockey discussion.
Unless Bissonnette wins this decision, of course.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)