Sep 18, 2013, 7:53 PM EDT
Usually, when Phoenix Coyotes enforcer Paul Bissonnette picks a fight, he has a good chance to win. Dropping the gloves with the NHL can be another matter, though.
The 28-year-old decided to appeal the 10-game automatic suspension he received from the league for leaving the bench to avenge his teammate Rostislav Klesla in a Sunday preseason exhibition against the Los Angeles Kings, AZ Central’s Sarah McLellan reports.
McLellan reminds us that the new CBA dictates that the appeals process goes through league commissioner Gary Bettman, then a neutral arbitrator.
One can only guess how much of a shot “BizNasty” has, though it might be especially tough to tackle an automatic punishment. (Maybe his argument will be that he didn’t violate Rule 70.10?)
The Coyotes can’t feel great about a situation in which Bissonnette gets a huge 10-game suspension for defending Klesla, who was injured thanks to a hit by Jordan Nolan, who didn’t face supplemental discipline. Perhaps Phoenix is getting a little revenge merely by keeping this situation in the general hockey discussion.
Unless Bissonnette wins this decision, of course.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)