Sep 18, 2013, 7:53 PM EDT
Usually, when Phoenix Coyotes enforcer Paul Bissonnette picks a fight, he has a good chance to win. Dropping the gloves with the NHL can be another matter, though.
The 28-year-old decided to appeal the 10-game automatic suspension he received from the league for leaving the bench to avenge his teammate Rostislav Klesla in a Sunday preseason exhibition against the Los Angeles Kings, AZ Central’s Sarah McLellan reports.
McLellan reminds us that the new CBA dictates that the appeals process goes through league commissioner Gary Bettman, then a neutral arbitrator.
One can only guess how much of a shot “BizNasty” has, though it might be especially tough to tackle an automatic punishment. (Maybe his argument will be that he didn’t violate Rule 70.10?)
The Coyotes can’t feel great about a situation in which Bissonnette gets a huge 10-game suspension for defending Klesla, who was injured thanks to a hit by Jordan Nolan, who didn’t face supplemental discipline. Perhaps Phoenix is getting a little revenge merely by keeping this situation in the general hockey discussion.
Unless Bissonnette wins this decision, of course.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 99
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)