Sep 18, 2013, 7:53 PM EDT
Usually, when Phoenix Coyotes enforcer Paul Bissonnette picks a fight, he has a good chance to win. Dropping the gloves with the NHL can be another matter, though.
The 28-year-old decided to appeal the 10-game automatic suspension he received from the league for leaving the bench to avenge his teammate Rostislav Klesla in a Sunday preseason exhibition against the Los Angeles Kings, AZ Central’s Sarah McLellan reports.
McLellan reminds us that the new CBA dictates that the appeals process goes through league commissioner Gary Bettman, then a neutral arbitrator.
One can only guess how much of a shot “BizNasty” has, though it might be especially tough to tackle an automatic punishment. (Maybe his argument will be that he didn’t violate Rule 70.10?)
The Coyotes can’t feel great about a situation in which Bissonnette gets a huge 10-game suspension for defending Klesla, who was injured thanks to a hit by Jordan Nolan, who didn’t face supplemental discipline. Perhaps Phoenix is getting a little revenge merely by keeping this situation in the general hockey discussion.
Unless Bissonnette wins this decision, of course.
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 15
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 43
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 20
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)