Sep 18, 2013, 8:51 AM EST
The Nashville Predators aren’t a franchise with a long history, but it starts with David Legwand. He was the first player they ever drafted back in 1998 and he’s the team’s all-time leader with 894 games played.
His days with Nashville might be numbered though as the Predators aren’t sure if they want to re-sign him when his contract expires in the summer of 2014.
“There’s lots of considerations,” Predators GM David Poile told The Tennessean. “Certainly, Leggy has been a big part of our franchise, and we would like to continue the relationship. I just want to see how the season starts.”
Part of that is due to Legwand’s age. He’s 33 years old and will turn 34 before the start of the 2014-15 campaign, so his best days might be behind him and he’s a risk in a multi-year contract.
It also remains to be seen where he fits in at this stage of his career. Legwand is a solid two-way center, but Nashville already has several veteran centers signed through 2014-15 in Mike Fisher, Paul Gaustad, and Matt Cullen. With that in mind, Poile wants to see if Legwand ends up maintaining a spot on one of the team’s top two lines.
In other words, Legwand might become the first player to ever log 1,000 games in a Predators uniform, but he’s going to have to prove himself one more time in order to reach that milestone.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Anaheim forward didn’t take another shift for the remainder of the opening frame.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Veteran d-man wasn’t playing much for Tampa Bay.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Oilers looked better last night in Nashville.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:04 PM EST
Cam Talbot shuts the door again, Blueshirts win 3-0.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
“Just that idea destroys the whole credibility of an organization.”
Nov 28, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Even after Semyon Varlamov returns from injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Not bad for a little guy who wasn’t even drafted.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:39 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 28, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
Veteran d-man will be parked in the press box in Buffalo tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Minnesota’s in Dallas tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
Semyon Varlamov was brilliant last season, but not so much this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:08 PM EST
Rivals meet for the second time this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
“And I say that with all due respect to the players we have.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EST
Nov 28, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
After missing the last 11 games with a separated shoulder.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
“Need a little more traffic, need second efforts.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Former King, Devil and ‘Cane joins HC Lokomotiv.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
Eat some leftovers and watch some quality afternoon hockey.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:50 AM EST
He could return in about a week if things progress well.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:59 AM EST
Some numbers behind Nashville’s hot start.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 0
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 0
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 11
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)