Sep 18, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT
The Nashville Predators aren’t a franchise with a long history, but it starts with David Legwand. He was the first player they ever drafted back in 1998 and he’s the team’s all-time leader with 894 games played.
His days with Nashville might be numbered though as the Predators aren’t sure if they want to re-sign him when his contract expires in the summer of 2014.
“There’s lots of considerations,” Predators GM David Poile told The Tennessean. “Certainly, Leggy has been a big part of our franchise, and we would like to continue the relationship. I just want to see how the season starts.”
Part of that is due to Legwand’s age. He’s 33 years old and will turn 34 before the start of the 2014-15 campaign, so his best days might be behind him and he’s a risk in a multi-year contract.
It also remains to be seen where he fits in at this stage of his career. Legwand is a solid two-way center, but Nashville already has several veteran centers signed through 2014-15 in Mike Fisher, Paul Gaustad, and Matt Cullen. With that in mind, Poile wants to see if Legwand ends up maintaining a spot on one of the team’s top two lines.
In other words, Legwand might become the first player to ever log 1,000 games in a Predators uniform, but he’s going to have to prove himself one more time in order to reach that milestone.
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 45
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 31
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 60
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)