Sep 18, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
It’s only a preseason game, but it should still be interesting to see how Canucks fans respond tonight in Vancouver when Roberto Luongo goes between the pipes against the Edmonton Oilers.
Luongo, of course, expected to be traded this summer, but general manager Mike Gillis ended up dealing Cory Schneider to New Jersey instead.
Luongo can probably expect a warm ovation from the crowd at Rogers Arena. As we wrote in August, he’s become a sympathetic figure of sorts in Vancouver. Not to mention, Canucks fans know how much the team needs the 34-year-old to re-establish himself as one of the NHL’s best goalies. (The alternatives are not exactly confidence-inspiring.)
Also of note, the Sedin twins will be making their preseason debuts tonight. Will they see any time on the penalty kill?
Henrik Sedin hopes so.
“We’ve never thought of ourselves as one-dimensional players,” he said, per The Province. “Growing up in Sweden, we played all situations. We played 5-on-5 on the game’s last shift. (We played) PK.
“We were counted on in all those situations.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)