Sep 18, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
It’s only a preseason game, but it should still be interesting to see how Canucks fans respond tonight in Vancouver when Roberto Luongo goes between the pipes against the Edmonton Oilers.
Luongo, of course, expected to be traded this summer, but general manager Mike Gillis ended up dealing Cory Schneider to New Jersey instead.
Luongo can probably expect a warm ovation from the crowd at Rogers Arena. As we wrote in August, he’s become a sympathetic figure of sorts in Vancouver. Not to mention, Canucks fans know how much the team needs the 34-year-old to re-establish himself as one of the NHL’s best goalies. (The alternatives are not exactly confidence-inspiring.)
Also of note, the Sedin twins will be making their preseason debuts tonight. Will they see any time on the penalty kill?
Henrik Sedin hopes so.
“We’ve never thought of ourselves as one-dimensional players,” he said, per The Province. “Growing up in Sweden, we played all situations. We played 5-on-5 on the game’s last shift. (We played) PK.
“We were counted on in all those situations.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 10
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25