Sep 18, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
It’s only a preseason game, but it should still be interesting to see how Canucks fans respond tonight in Vancouver when Roberto Luongo goes between the pipes against the Edmonton Oilers.
Luongo, of course, expected to be traded this summer, but general manager Mike Gillis ended up dealing Cory Schneider to New Jersey instead.
Luongo can probably expect a warm ovation from the crowd at Rogers Arena. As we wrote in August, he’s become a sympathetic figure of sorts in Vancouver. Not to mention, Canucks fans know how much the team needs the 34-year-old to re-establish himself as one of the NHL’s best goalies. (The alternatives are not exactly confidence-inspiring.)
Also of note, the Sedin twins will be making their preseason debuts tonight. Will they see any time on the penalty kill?
Henrik Sedin hopes so.
“We’ve never thought of ourselves as one-dimensional players,” he said, per The Province. “Growing up in Sweden, we played all situations. We played 5-on-5 on the game’s last shift. (We played) PK.
“We were counted on in all those situations.”
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)