Sep 18, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
It’s only a preseason game, but it should still be interesting to see how Canucks fans respond tonight in Vancouver when Roberto Luongo goes between the pipes against the Edmonton Oilers.
Luongo, of course, expected to be traded this summer, but general manager Mike Gillis ended up dealing Cory Schneider to New Jersey instead.
Luongo can probably expect a warm ovation from the crowd at Rogers Arena. As we wrote in August, he’s become a sympathetic figure of sorts in Vancouver. Not to mention, Canucks fans know how much the team needs the 34-year-old to re-establish himself as one of the NHL’s best goalies. (The alternatives are not exactly confidence-inspiring.)
Also of note, the Sedin twins will be making their preseason debuts tonight. Will they see any time on the penalty kill?
Henrik Sedin hopes so.
“We’ve never thought of ourselves as one-dimensional players,” he said, per The Province. “Growing up in Sweden, we played all situations. We played 5-on-5 on the game’s last shift. (We played) PK.
“We were counted on in all those situations.”
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)