Sep 18, 2013, 11:58 AM EST
It’s only a preseason game, but it should still be interesting to see how Canucks fans respond tonight in Vancouver when Roberto Luongo goes between the pipes against the Edmonton Oilers.
Luongo, of course, expected to be traded this summer, but general manager Mike Gillis ended up dealing Cory Schneider to New Jersey instead.
Luongo can probably expect a warm ovation from the crowd at Rogers Arena. As we wrote in August, he’s become a sympathetic figure of sorts in Vancouver. Not to mention, Canucks fans know how much the team needs the 34-year-old to re-establish himself as one of the NHL’s best goalies. (The alternatives are not exactly confidence-inspiring.)
Also of note, the Sedin twins will be making their preseason debuts tonight. Will they see any time on the penalty kill?
Henrik Sedin hopes so.
“We’ve never thought of ourselves as one-dimensional players,” he said, per The Province. “Growing up in Sweden, we played all situations. We played 5-on-5 on the game’s last shift. (We played) PK.
“We were counted on in all those situations.”
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 3
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)