Sep 18, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT
A week into Toronto Maple Leafs training camp, Joffrey Lupul is ready to participate.
The 29-year-old winger, who’s been out with a back injury, skated with teammates for the first time this season on Wednesday, taking line rushes alongside center Tyler Bozak and fellow winger Phil Kessel.
Lupul, who was held out of action with back spasms, missed pair of exhibition contests against Philadelphia. It’s unclear if he’ll be ready to play in Thursday’s tilt against Ottawa, though one suspects the Leafs won’t rush him back to action given his importance to the club.
This marks the first season of Lupul’s five-year, $26.25 million extension signed last season. It also marks an opportunity to put aside the health issues that marred his 2013 campaign.
Lupul missed extensive time last season with a broken arm, concussion and suspension but, when healthy, was a dynamic presence. Lupul scored 18 points in 16 regular season games and three goals in seven postseason contests against Boston, second on the team to Kessel (who led, with four).
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 10
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 23
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 11
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 66
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (74)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)