Sep 18, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT
A week into Toronto Maple Leafs training camp, Joffrey Lupul is ready to participate.
The 29-year-old winger, who’s been out with a back injury, skated with teammates for the first time this season on Wednesday, taking line rushes alongside center Tyler Bozak and fellow winger Phil Kessel.
Lupul, who was held out of action with back spasms, missed pair of exhibition contests against Philadelphia. It’s unclear if he’ll be ready to play in Thursday’s tilt against Ottawa, though one suspects the Leafs won’t rush him back to action given his importance to the club.
This marks the first season of Lupul’s five-year, $26.25 million extension signed last season. It also marks an opportunity to put aside the health issues that marred his 2013 campaign.
Lupul missed extensive time last season with a broken arm, concussion and suspension but, when healthy, was a dynamic presence. Lupul scored 18 points in 16 regular season games and three goals in seven postseason contests against Boston, second on the team to Kessel (who led, with four).
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)