Sep 18, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
Tuesday night was a tough one for Cal Clutterbuck.
The Isles forward, playing his typical energetic style, was banged up during New York’s 5-3 split-squad loss to Calgary last night, and sent back to Long Island today for further evaluation.
Isles coach Jack Capuano told Newsday that Clutterbuck “will miss some extended time” with a skate laceration (see below for how it happened.)
Clutterbuck’s rough night began with this hip check, courtesy Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman:
Clutterbuck returned to action following that hit but left for good early in the third after colliding with Calgary’s Paul Byron.
He left the ice favoring his leg and was thought to have suffered a skate cut, which has since been confirmed.
Losing Clutterbuck is costly for New York.
He’s expected to be a valuable energy forward this year, which explains why the club was willing to trade prospect Nino Niederreiter to get him (also explains why the Isles immediately signed Clutterbuck to a four-year, $11 million extension).
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)