Sep 18, 2013, 3:31 PM EST
Braden Holtby has a pretty interesting opinion on the NHL’s reduction of goalie equipment size.
“I think it was [necessary],” the Caps netminder told CSN Washington. “I feel like we should be athletes, not robots, guys that use extra protection to stop the puck.
“I think we should rely on our athleticism, our reactions and our mental game.”
The topic of modified goalie gear — specifically, the two-inch reduction in leg pad height — has been a hot one. James Reimer said the new gear felt “really different,” and Jason LaBarbera was “blown away” by the changes.
What every goalie seemed to agree on, though, s the need to change their style of play to some degree.
Holtby’s comments took that line of thinking a step further. He’s not just saying the “let the pads stop the puck” approach is on its way out — he’s saying it shouldn’t have been in to start with.
“The smaller the gear can be without giving up protection is the best,” Holtby explained. “I may be on my own on this in the goalie world, but that’s how I feel.
“It should be more about being an athlete and less about guys around a computer at a factory.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 32
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)