Sep 18, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
Hedberg was with the Rangers on a professional tryout, and head coach Alain Vigneault did say last week there was a competition for the back-up spot (behind Henrik Lundqvist) between Hedberg and incumbent Martin Biron.
Grabbing that No. 2 role was always going to be a challenge for Hedberg, though. Not only is he 40 years old and coming off a tough season with the Devils, Biron has one season left on his contract, at a cap hit of $1.3 million.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22