Sep 18, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
Hedberg was with the Rangers on a professional tryout, and head coach Alain Vigneault did say last week there was a competition for the back-up spot (behind Henrik Lundqvist) between Hedberg and incumbent Martin Biron.
Grabbing that No. 2 role was always going to be a challenge for Hedberg, though. Not only is he 40 years old and coming off a tough season with the Devils, Biron has one season left on his contract, at a cap hit of $1.3 million.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 28
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 41
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 59
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6