Sep 18, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
While P.K. Subban grabbed the Norris Trophy during the Montreal Canadiens’ surprisingly successful 2013 season,* Andrei Markov was almost – if not equally – as crucial to the turnaround. Many counted him out after some serious injury troubles, and now he faces a new uncertainty: earning another contract.
His $5.75 million cap hit expires next summer, and the 34-year-old defenseman didn’t try to deny how big of a deal this coming campaign is.
Even so, Markov only has so much power in deciding if he’s sticking with Montreal long-term, as he told the Montreal Gazette on Wednesday.
“I will be happy to stay with the Canadiens, but you never know what’s going to happen. You can’t read the mind of management,” Markov said. “All I can do is play my game the best I can. That’s all I can say about the situation. Deep in your mind you know it’s the last year of your contract, but I don’t want to think about that and lose my focus on my game. I’m going to try to take one game at a time and we’ll see what happens.”
His agent Don Meehan will be dealing with a different management group than the last time the underrated Russian blueliner made a deal with the Habs. One can only guess how relatively new GM Marc Bergevin feels about Markov’s ability to be a long-term contributor, particularly considering his spotty injury history.
Markov said that he’s leaving that two his agent and management to discuss. If he plays anything like he did in 2013, he’ll have nothing to worry about (except maybe how to invest all of those millions).
* – Until the playoffs, one might argue.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)