Sep 18, 2013, 8:57 PM EST
EA Sports’ latest video game NHL 14 released in North American on Sept. 10 and worldwide on Sept. 13, so it seems like a good time to take a look at how critics are receiving it. The general response seems to be enthusiastic, although maybe that excitement is waning a bit year-to-year.
Most of the critiques are glowing and contain a multitude of hockey puns, although Giant Bomb’s review captures a mild feeling of stagnation that might be familiar to fans of sports video game franchises.
All of this considered, NHL 14 is most certainly a better game than last year’s, but whether it’s enough to convince you to go for another purchase will likely depend on how badly you want improvements to the series’ more physical game elements. In terms of visuals, commentary, and feature set, little of NHL 14 changes notably from what was on offer last year, leaving only the hitting and fighting systems as the marquee upgrades. NHL 13 had a pretty massive chasm between the quality of its gameplay and its feature set, and that chasm hasn’t really been filled in much at all this year.
Metacritic’s aggregated reviews gives the Xbox 360 version an 83 out of 100 while the Playstation 3 one mysteriously falls to 79. The site’s collection of game reviews shows that the series is generating slightly less impressive reviews each year, although only incrementally worse.
EA hasn’t confirmed NHL 15 for the Playstation 4 and Xbox One, but perhaps bigger innovations – and more enthusiastic reviews – might come then?
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)