Sep 18, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have sent defenseman Samuel Morin, the club’s first-round pick in this summer’s draft, back to his junior team (Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL).
The 18-year-old defenseman was nothing short of impressive in training camp and has served notice that he is likely a year or two away from joining the Flyers full-time.
Unusual though it may be, the Flyers were stacked on defense in camp with nine players on one-way contracts plus Hal Gill on a tryout. Gill will go to Lake Placid when training camp continues on Thursday.
General manager Paul Holmgren all but said Morin was going home for more seasoning on Tuesday night.
“It’s a stretch just because of the numbers we have here,” Holmgren said . “We’re just going to take it a day at a time and see how it goes.”
Morin — all 6-foot-6 of him — was selected 11th overall by the Flyers and recently signed his entry-level contract.
More on Morin here.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)