Sep 18, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have sent defenseman Samuel Morin, the club’s first-round pick in this summer’s draft, back to his junior team (Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL).
The 18-year-old defenseman was nothing short of impressive in training camp and has served notice that he is likely a year or two away from joining the Flyers full-time.
Unusual though it may be, the Flyers were stacked on defense in camp with nine players on one-way contracts plus Hal Gill on a tryout. Gill will go to Lake Placid when training camp continues on Thursday.
General manager Paul Holmgren all but said Morin was going home for more seasoning on Tuesday night.
“It’s a stretch just because of the numbers we have here,” Holmgren said . “We’re just going to take it a day at a time and see how it goes.”
Morin — all 6-foot-6 of him — was selected 11th overall by the Flyers and recently signed his entry-level contract.
More on Morin here.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)