Sep 18, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have sent defenseman Samuel Morin, the club’s first-round pick in this summer’s draft, back to his junior team (Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL).
The 18-year-old defenseman was nothing short of impressive in training camp and has served notice that he is likely a year or two away from joining the Flyers full-time.
Unusual though it may be, the Flyers were stacked on defense in camp with nine players on one-way contracts plus Hal Gill on a tryout. Gill will go to Lake Placid when training camp continues on Thursday.
General manager Paul Holmgren all but said Morin was going home for more seasoning on Tuesday night.
“It’s a stretch just because of the numbers we have here,” Holmgren said . “We’re just going to take it a day at a time and see how it goes.”
Morin — all 6-foot-6 of him — was selected 11th overall by the Flyers and recently signed his entry-level contract.
More on Morin here.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 5
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 7
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)