Sep 18, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks owner Henry Samueli is looking forward to the first full season with the NHL’s new CBA, and says last season’s lockout was a necessary evil if the club ever hoped to stop losing money.
“We’ll know this year for sure what the impact is,” Samueli said in an interview with the OC Register. “We’re optimistic we’ll turn the corner and start heading in the other direction.”
With the new CBA, the Ducks are now eligible to receive revenue-sharing — something their market size prevented them from getting under the previous deal.
While Samueli has never been a high-profile owner compared to some of his counterparts around the league, he said he regularly pushed NHL commissioner Gary Bettman during negotiations to do what he could to “help the teams in the bottom half of the league get to profitability.”
The Ducks committed $135 million last season to keep star forwards Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry in Anaheim long term — testament, perhaps, to the optimism Samueli felt coming out of the work stoppage.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)