Sep 18, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks owner Henry Samueli is looking forward to the first full season with the NHL’s new CBA, and says last season’s lockout was a necessary evil if the club ever hoped to stop losing money.
“We’ll know this year for sure what the impact is,” Samueli said in an interview with the OC Register. “We’re optimistic we’ll turn the corner and start heading in the other direction.”
With the new CBA, the Ducks are now eligible to receive revenue-sharing — something their market size prevented them from getting under the previous deal.
While Samueli has never been a high-profile owner compared to some of his counterparts around the league, he said he regularly pushed NHL commissioner Gary Bettman during negotiations to do what he could to “help the teams in the bottom half of the league get to profitability.”
The Ducks committed $135 million last season to keep star forwards Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry in Anaheim long term — testament, perhaps, to the optimism Samueli felt coming out of the work stoppage.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)