Sep 18, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
Anaheim Ducks owner Henry Samueli is looking forward to the first full season with the NHL’s new CBA, and says last season’s lockout was a necessary evil if the club ever hoped to stop losing money.
“We’ll know this year for sure what the impact is,” Samueli said in an interview with the OC Register. “We’re optimistic we’ll turn the corner and start heading in the other direction.”
With the new CBA, the Ducks are now eligible to receive revenue-sharing — something their market size prevented them from getting under the previous deal.
While Samueli has never been a high-profile owner compared to some of his counterparts around the league, he said he regularly pushed NHL commissioner Gary Bettman during negotiations to do what he could to “help the teams in the bottom half of the league get to profitability.”
The Ducks committed $135 million last season to keep star forwards Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry in Anaheim long term — testament, perhaps, to the optimism Samueli felt coming out of the work stoppage.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)