Sep 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
From a press release:
Washington Capitals majority owner Ted Leonsis will make a major announcement at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21 at the 2013 Capitals Convention at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. The announcement will be made on the main stage in the Washington Convention Center.
In addition, all Capitals players, a number of prominent alumni, coaches and management will also be available for individual interviews throughout the afternoon. Capitals Convention is a day-long celebration of the Capitals featuring the entire 2013-14 Capitals team, front office personnel and alumni. The event gives fans an insight into the NHL through interactive hockey experiences, panel sessions and hockey displays. The convention has attracted sold-out crowds of more than 6,500 people in previous years.
So…what could this “major announcement” be? Well, a quick glance at Twitter and the words “Winter Classic” have been popping up. And it’s worth noting the Caps were once reportedly the “favorite” to host the 2014 Winter Classic, before the 2013 version was pushed back a year due to the lockout.
Then again, sometimes when teams make a “major announcement,” it turns out to be not so major after all. Maybe they just traded Alex Ovechkin, or something minor like that.
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight vs. B’s 0
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 20
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)