Sep 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
From a press release:
Washington Capitals majority owner Ted Leonsis will make a major announcement at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21 at the 2013 Capitals Convention at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. The announcement will be made on the main stage in the Washington Convention Center.
In addition, all Capitals players, a number of prominent alumni, coaches and management will also be available for individual interviews throughout the afternoon. Capitals Convention is a day-long celebration of the Capitals featuring the entire 2013-14 Capitals team, front office personnel and alumni. The event gives fans an insight into the NHL through interactive hockey experiences, panel sessions and hockey displays. The convention has attracted sold-out crowds of more than 6,500 people in previous years.
So…what could this “major announcement” be? Well, a quick glance at Twitter and the words “Winter Classic” have been popping up. And it’s worth noting the Caps were once reportedly the “favorite” to host the 2014 Winter Classic, before the 2013 version was pushed back a year due to the lockout.
Then again, sometimes when teams make a “major announcement,” it turns out to be not so major after all. Maybe they just traded Alex Ovechkin, or something minor like that.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 11
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)