Sep 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
From a press release:
Washington Capitals majority owner Ted Leonsis will make a major announcement at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21 at the 2013 Capitals Convention at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. The announcement will be made on the main stage in the Washington Convention Center.
In addition, all Capitals players, a number of prominent alumni, coaches and management will also be available for individual interviews throughout the afternoon. Capitals Convention is a day-long celebration of the Capitals featuring the entire 2013-14 Capitals team, front office personnel and alumni. The event gives fans an insight into the NHL through interactive hockey experiences, panel sessions and hockey displays. The convention has attracted sold-out crowds of more than 6,500 people in previous years.
So…what could this “major announcement” be? Well, a quick glance at Twitter and the words “Winter Classic” have been popping up. And it’s worth noting the Caps were once reportedly the “favorite” to host the 2014 Winter Classic, before the 2013 version was pushed back a year due to the lockout.
Then again, sometimes when teams make a “major announcement,” it turns out to be not so major after all. Maybe they just traded Alex Ovechkin, or something minor like that.
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 35
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 16
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6