Sep 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
From a press release:
Washington Capitals majority owner Ted Leonsis will make a major announcement at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21 at the 2013 Capitals Convention at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. The announcement will be made on the main stage in the Washington Convention Center.
In addition, all Capitals players, a number of prominent alumni, coaches and management will also be available for individual interviews throughout the afternoon. Capitals Convention is a day-long celebration of the Capitals featuring the entire 2013-14 Capitals team, front office personnel and alumni. The event gives fans an insight into the NHL through interactive hockey experiences, panel sessions and hockey displays. The convention has attracted sold-out crowds of more than 6,500 people in previous years.
So…what could this “major announcement” be? Well, a quick glance at Twitter and the words “Winter Classic” have been popping up. And it’s worth noting the Caps were once reportedly the “favorite” to host the 2014 Winter Classic, before the 2013 version was pushed back a year due to the lockout.
Then again, sometimes when teams make a “major announcement,” it turns out to be not so major after all. Maybe they just traded Alex Ovechkin, or something minor like that.
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 12
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 5
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 51
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)