Sep 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
From a press release:
Washington Capitals majority owner Ted Leonsis will make a major announcement at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21 at the 2013 Capitals Convention at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. The announcement will be made on the main stage in the Washington Convention Center.
In addition, all Capitals players, a number of prominent alumni, coaches and management will also be available for individual interviews throughout the afternoon. Capitals Convention is a day-long celebration of the Capitals featuring the entire 2013-14 Capitals team, front office personnel and alumni. The event gives fans an insight into the NHL through interactive hockey experiences, panel sessions and hockey displays. The convention has attracted sold-out crowds of more than 6,500 people in previous years.
So…what could this “major announcement” be? Well, a quick glance at Twitter and the words “Winter Classic” have been popping up. And it’s worth noting the Caps were once reportedly the “favorite” to host the 2014 Winter Classic, before the 2013 version was pushed back a year due to the lockout.
Then again, sometimes when teams make a “major announcement,” it turns out to be not so major after all. Maybe they just traded Alex Ovechkin, or something minor like that.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)