Sep 18, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
David Booth‘s rehab from an ankle injury has been a tough and frustrating one, but the 28-year-old Canucks winger took a step forward this morning in Vancouver when he practiced with teammates (he skated with Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows) for the first time this preseason.
“It was quite the feeling,” said Booth, per the Vancouver Sun’s Elliott Pap. “I mean, it’s been a while since I skated with them.”
He added: “I think my goal all along was to be ready for the regular season.”
If, however, Booth’s absence extends beyond the start of the regular season (Oct. 3, for Vancouver), the Canucks have a couple of kids who could possibly see time on the second line until he gets back. Hunter Shinkaruk is one candidate, as is Nicklas Jensen.
A former 31-goal-scorer in Florida, Booth has two years left on his contract, with a cap hit of $4.25 million. In 68 games with Vancouver, he has 17 goals and 15 assists — not terrible production, but the Canucks would love to get more from him.
“He killed us in Florida when I was in Tampa,” said head coach John Tortorella, per The Province. “He can be an asset in how we want to play on the puck. He could be a really good player, but the question is health and it’s out of my control. If he can stay healthy, it slots people in different spots. We get a good player like that in the lineup and it really helps us.”
Related: Luongo to start tonight in Vancouver
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)