Sep 18, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
David Booth‘s rehab from an ankle injury has been a tough and frustrating one, but the 28-year-old Canucks winger took a step forward this morning in Vancouver when he practiced with teammates (he skated with Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows) for the first time this preseason.
“It was quite the feeling,” said Booth, per the Vancouver Sun’s Elliott Pap. “I mean, it’s been a while since I skated with them.”
He added: “I think my goal all along was to be ready for the regular season.”
If, however, Booth’s absence extends beyond the start of the regular season (Oct. 3, for Vancouver), the Canucks have a couple of kids who could possibly see time on the second line until he gets back. Hunter Shinkaruk is one candidate, as is Nicklas Jensen.
A former 31-goal-scorer in Florida, Booth has two years left on his contract, with a cap hit of $4.25 million. In 68 games with Vancouver, he has 17 goals and 15 assists — not terrible production, but the Canucks would love to get more from him.
“He killed us in Florida when I was in Tampa,” said head coach John Tortorella, per The Province. “He can be an asset in how we want to play on the puck. He could be a really good player, but the question is health and it’s out of my control. If he can stay healthy, it slots people in different spots. We get a good player like that in the lineup and it really helps us.”
Related: Luongo to start tonight in Vancouver
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11