Sep 18, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
David Booth‘s rehab from an ankle injury has been a tough and frustrating one, but the 28-year-old Canucks winger took a step forward this morning in Vancouver when he practiced with teammates (he skated with Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows) for the first time this preseason.
“It was quite the feeling,” said Booth, per the Vancouver Sun’s Elliott Pap. “I mean, it’s been a while since I skated with them.”
He added: “I think my goal all along was to be ready for the regular season.”
If, however, Booth’s absence extends beyond the start of the regular season (Oct. 3, for Vancouver), the Canucks have a couple of kids who could possibly see time on the second line until he gets back. Hunter Shinkaruk is one candidate, as is Nicklas Jensen.
A former 31-goal-scorer in Florida, Booth has two years left on his contract, with a cap hit of $4.25 million. In 68 games with Vancouver, he has 17 goals and 15 assists — not terrible production, but the Canucks would love to get more from him.
“He killed us in Florida when I was in Tampa,” said head coach John Tortorella, per The Province. “He can be an asset in how we want to play on the puck. He could be a really good player, but the question is health and it’s out of my control. If he can stay healthy, it slots people in different spots. We get a good player like that in the lineup and it really helps us.”
Related: Luongo to start tonight in Vancouver
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)