Sep 18, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
When the Flames took Sean Monahan sixth overall at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, they figured they drafting for the future.
Turns out they might’ve been drafting for the present.
Monahan, 18, has impressed head coach Bob Hartley throughout training camp and preseason games, leading Hartley to suggest Monahan is factoring into Calgary’s plans for this season.
“For such a young centreman, I think he’s adapting real well to NHL hockey,” Hartley told the Calgary Herald. “He still has things to learn which is perfectly normal for any kids that age.
“He doesn’t get rattled. He’s very poised. We have big plans for this young man.”
Monahan has a lot going for him at the moment.
At 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, he’s got the size to play in the NHL straight away. He’s also got relatively light competition at the center position, as Calgary may be the league’s weakest club down the middle (Mikael Backlund, Matt Stajan, T.J. Galiardi, Max Reinhart and Corban Knight.)
Monahan’s also playing extremely well at the moment. He scored twice in a 4-2 win over the Islanders on Tuesday, putting pressure on Hartley and Flames GM Jay Feaster to keep Monahan from going back to OHL Ottawa.
“There are some kids that put money in the bank tonight,” Hartley said. “I don’t know how long it’s going to take them, but some kids were really impressive.”
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 12
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)