Sep 18, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
Anaheim was blasted 6-0 by in-state rivals Los Angeles on Tuesday night, and head coach Bruce Boudreau was none too pleased by it.
“We were bad from the goaltender out,” Boudreau told the O.C. Register (paywall) following the game. “I gave them crap about their lack of compete.”
The loss, in which the Ducks were out-scored, out-shot and generally outworked, was only their second game of the preseason following a 6-2 win over Phoenix on Monday.
While some might see the L.A. loss as a blip on the radar, Boudreau pointed to an overall lack of work ethic — dating back to the start of training camp — as the culprit.
“We’ve had some guys that haven’t worked hard in training camp,” Boudreau explained. “They got to get back to the grindstone and start working.”
Penner said it was a pretty disappointing effort overall.
“They played fairly well and we played fairly poor,” he said. “Obviously it’s preseason. It’s a lot of guys first games.
“That being said, it’s not an excuse.”
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 4
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 29
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 75
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)