Sep 18, 2013, 11:18 AM EST
Anaheim was blasted 6-0 by in-state rivals Los Angeles on Tuesday night, and head coach Bruce Boudreau was none too pleased by it.
“We were bad from the goaltender out,” Boudreau told the O.C. Register (paywall) following the game. “I gave them crap about their lack of compete.”
The loss, in which the Ducks were out-scored, out-shot and generally outworked, was only their second game of the preseason following a 6-2 win over Phoenix on Monday.
While some might see the L.A. loss as a blip on the radar, Boudreau pointed to an overall lack of work ethic — dating back to the start of training camp — as the culprit.
“We’ve had some guys that haven’t worked hard in training camp,” Boudreau explained. “They got to get back to the grindstone and start working.”
Penner said it was a pretty disappointing effort overall.
“They played fairly well and we played fairly poor,” he said. “Obviously it’s preseason. It’s a lot of guys first games.
“That being said, it’s not an excuse.”
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)