Sep 18, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning youngster Adam Erne caught St. Louis Blues forward Vladimir Sobotka with a hit to the head, sidelining the 26-year-old with an upper-body injury. It might be slim solace for St. Louis, but Erne apologized after the game, according to the Tampa Bay Times’ Damian Cristodero.
“It was a total accident,” Erne said.
To little surprise, the Blues weren’t pleased with that check (more on that soon). Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock thinks that Erne will receive supplemental discipline for the hit, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford reports.
“I am sure the league is going to look at it hard and I’m sure there will be some type of suspension with it,” Hitchcock said.
The Lightning selected Erne, 18, with their second-round pick (33rd overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft. There’s no telling if the team intends to play the sizable forward at the NHL level – even as a cup of coffee – but their options might be a little more limited if the league decides that a suspension is appropriate.
(Again, video of the hit will be shared when/if it is made available.)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)