Sep 18, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning youngster Adam Erne caught St. Louis Blues forward Vladimir Sobotka with a hit to the head, sidelining the 26-year-old with an upper-body injury. It might be slim solace for St. Louis, but Erne apologized after the game, according to the Tampa Bay Times’ Damian Cristodero.
“It was a total accident,” Erne said.
To little surprise, the Blues weren’t pleased with that check (more on that soon). Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock thinks that Erne will receive supplemental discipline for the hit, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford reports.
“I am sure the league is going to look at it hard and I’m sure there will be some type of suspension with it,” Hitchcock said.
The Lightning selected Erne, 18, with their second-round pick (33rd overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft. There’s no telling if the team intends to play the sizable forward at the NHL level – even as a cup of coffee – but their options might be a little more limited if the league decides that a suspension is appropriate.
(Again, video of the hit will be shared when/if it is made available.)
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 1
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 47
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 6
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 39
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)