Sep 18, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning youngster Adam Erne caught St. Louis Blues forward Vladimir Sobotka with a hit to the head, sidelining the 26-year-old with an upper-body injury. It might be slim solace for St. Louis, but Erne apologized after the game, according to the Tampa Bay Times’ Damian Cristodero.
“It was a total accident,” Erne said.
To little surprise, the Blues weren’t pleased with that check (more on that soon). Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock thinks that Erne will receive supplemental discipline for the hit, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford reports.
“I am sure the league is going to look at it hard and I’m sure there will be some type of suspension with it,” Hitchcock said.
The Lightning selected Erne, 18, with their second-round pick (33rd overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft. There’s no telling if the team intends to play the sizable forward at the NHL level – even as a cup of coffee – but their options might be a little more limited if the league decides that a suspension is appropriate.
(Again, video of the hit will be shared when/if it is made available.)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)