Sep 18, 2013, 11:09 PM EDT
St. Louis Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock and forward Chris Stewart agree that the Adam Erne hit that injured Vladimir Sobotka was over the line – Stewart called it a “straight shot to the head” – but don’t see eye-to-eye on how the Blues reacted.
Erne might be sorry, yet it seems like Hitchcock believes the Blues should’ve made him regret that hit in a more direct way, as he told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford and NHL.com’s Lou Korac.
“These are delicate issues within the team. You probably would like to see a response there,” Hitchcock said. “We want to become a team.”
Perhaps Stewart, 25, simply believes there’s a better time and place to make such a statement.
“It’s an 18 yr old kid (Erne),” Stewart said. “I don’t know how it’s going to look when one of our heavies goes out there and tries to attack him.”
The Tampa Bay Lightning suffered an injury of their own as Henri Ikonen needed help off the ice after a hit into the boards, but Bolts head coach Jon Cooper described it as a clean hit to the Tampa Bay Tribune’s Damien Cristodero.
Sobotka, 26, was able to leave the locker room under his own power, but onlookers noticed a big bump under his left eye. The team expects to learn more about his condition on Thursday morning.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (63)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)