Sep 17, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
Pictured above is Tim Thomas in goal during this morning’s Florida Panthers practice (per the Miami Herald’s George Richards).
Watching Thomas — who’s with the Panthers on a tryout basis — is young Jacob Markstrom, who’s got big plans of his own for the 2013-14 season.
Yesterday, general manager Dale Tallon spoke to reporters about his decision to give Thomas, 39, a shot.
“He’s a two-time Vezina Trophy winner, a Conn Smythe Trophy winner,” Tallon told reporters. “We need goaltending. We need somebody to help us get to where we need to get to. Right now it’s Tim Thomas. He’s going to get an opportunity.”
Tallon added: “He and Markstrom and Clemmensen will battle for the position. And whoever wins the position will be the starter. … He [Thomas] really wants to play and he really wants to lead and he really wants to be the starter and he wants to win and he wants to win now. I was very impressed with him. I liked everything he had to say, I liked his approach. … We strive to get better every day and a good Tim Thomas will make us better.”
The Panthers have five preseason games remaining, starting Wednesday in Dallas. According to Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel, Thomas may get the nod Saturday in Tampa Bay.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)