Sep 17, 2013, 11:11 AM EST
Pictured above is Tim Thomas in goal during this morning’s Florida Panthers practice (per the Miami Herald’s George Richards).
Watching Thomas — who’s with the Panthers on a tryout basis — is young Jacob Markstrom, who’s got big plans of his own for the 2013-14 season.
Yesterday, general manager Dale Tallon spoke to reporters about his decision to give Thomas, 39, a shot.
“He’s a two-time Vezina Trophy winner, a Conn Smythe Trophy winner,” Tallon told reporters. “We need goaltending. We need somebody to help us get to where we need to get to. Right now it’s Tim Thomas. He’s going to get an opportunity.”
Tallon added: “He and Markstrom and Clemmensen will battle for the position. And whoever wins the position will be the starter. … He [Thomas] really wants to play and he really wants to lead and he really wants to be the starter and he wants to win and he wants to win now. I was very impressed with him. I liked everything he had to say, I liked his approach. … We strive to get better every day and a good Tim Thomas will make us better.”
The Panthers have five preseason games remaining, starting Wednesday in Dallas. According to Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel, Thomas may get the nod Saturday in Tampa Bay.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 12
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)