Sep 17, 2013, 10:55 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets face a new challenge in joining the Metropolitan Division via realignment, so perhaps it shouldn’t be surprising that head coach Todd Richards is getting worked up about preseason games.
From Sunday to Tuesday, Richards has questioned his team’s efforts more than the results, emphasizing that they can’t just flip a switch when the regular season begins.
On Sunday, Richards downplayed an OT exhibition win against the Pittsburgh Penguins, bringing up the team’s Oct. 4 season opener.
“We can’t expect come Oct. 4 that we’re going to pick up right where we left off,” Richards said on Sunday. “We still have to work hard.”
Two days later, the Blue Jackets played a pair of preseason games, with one group beating the Minnesota Wild’s 3-1* and another losing to the Buffalo Sabres 3-1. Richards sounded like a broken record after those games tonight.
“One thing concerns me: are we waiting for Oct. 4? We can’t just turn it on then,” Richards said. “Your effort should never be questioned at what you do. Everything we got last year was through our effort.”
So, to review: Richards thinks that the days before Oct. 4 are important, even if the games don’t count until then.
All joking aside, it’s an important message that other NHL head coaches are likely trying to send as well, Richards just happens to be sending it repeatedly in the media.
* – Interesting side note: assistant coach Craig Hartsburg raved about the split-squad he coached in Minnesota on Tuesday, so maybe Richards merely needs to get through to the other chunk of the team.
Jan 30, 2015, 8:04 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:17 AM EST
Head coach Mike Yeo said he earned that goose egg, too.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:47 PM EST
So much for some rest for Frederik Andersen.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
Two youngsters change teams.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:22 PM EST
A bit of a statement from Tampa Bay?
Jan 29, 2015, 9:51 PM EST
A bitter game at times.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:44 PM EST
Oliver Ekman-Larsson catches him sleeping.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:33 PM EST
Another strong game on NBCSN.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:49 PM EST
Nice applause in his return to Ottawa.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:19 PM EST
Jan 29, 2015, 7:12 PM EST
To some extent, it was about staying closer to the game.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:17 PM EST
Bask in a budding rivalry.
Jan 29, 2015, 5:28 PM EST
The first of a Thursday night doubleheader on NBCSN.
Jan 29, 2015, 4:36 PM EST
The Coyotes and Canucks, that’s who.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:36 PM EST
In the wake of the controversial injury to Derek Dorsett.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:29 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 29, 2015, 3:07 PM EST
Hopefully he can stay healthy this time.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
“Consistency is still a word that we use constantly around here, bringing it all the time, and being emotionally attached to the games.”
Jan 29, 2015, 2:21 PM EST
Just months after COO John Collins said that jersey sponsorship “is coming” to the league.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:06 PM EST
“We’ve gotten better, and we’ve got to keep getting better.”
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 17
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46