Sep 17, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly and NHLPA chief Donald Fehr are traveling to the hockey hotbed of Portugal to meet with the IIHF on Thursday, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Why are they doing that? A possible answer, from Dreger’s report:
Whether discussed at this meeting or not, there’s a growing sense of urgency in determining the NHL’s plans to continue to expand its European profile.
While it’s not CBA related, the NHL and NHLPA did agree to work together to send four NHL teams back to Europe next fall for regular season games. Sources say there has been little progress in planning the NHL’s return and time may be running out. NHL clubs are already making plans for their 2014 training camps and preseason games and the marketing impact required may suffer because of the loose ends.
The World Cup of Hockey is also on the list of items that IIHF executives would like to discuss this week.
Last week, it was reported that the NHL had plans to add $1 billion in revenue over the next three seasons, in part through an increased presence in Europe, as well the return of the World Cup.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Oct 23, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
“He never back-talked.”
Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
So says his coach. (And rightly so.)
Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
They’re first and second in the Central Division, and neither has lost in regulation yet.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Postponed in the wake of the Ottawa shootings.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
It’s a special teams extravaganza!
Oct 23, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Says he was never asked to increase ice time of youngsters returning from injury.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
“He’s playing great.”
Oct 23, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
A court date has been set for Dec. 1.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
Probably a figurative slap.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
The Islanders defenseman spent six seasons with the Bruins
Oct 23, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
He’s in the American Hockey League to start 2014-15.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Looks better than one might expect.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:13 AM EDT
Meanwhile, Buffalo scored!
Oct 23, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
Pretty good chance for three straight.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
He was injured on Oct. 16.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
No. 8 was having a bit of a difficult night.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Big win for Philly after getting beat bad in Chicago on Tuesday.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Last shift came in the first period.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 57
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (58)