Sep 17, 2013, 1:57 PM EST
The Flyers have reached terms with Samuel Morin on a three-year entry-level deal, the club announced on Tuesday.
Morin, 18, was the club’s first-round pick (11th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
At 6-foot-6, 211 pounds, Morin was one of the biggest physical specimens available at the draft and the fourth defenseman off the board, behind Nashville’s Seth Jones, Edmonton’s Darnell Nurse and Buffalo’s Rasmus Ristolainen.
CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports Morin’s deal is for $4.275 million over three years.
Panaccio also reports Morin is making it tough for the Flyers to dispatch him back to junior. The QMJHL Rimouski standout had a very solid pro debut on Monday’s 4-3 shootout loss to Washington, setting up Vincent Lecavalier for a power-play marker.
“He was really composed out there with the puck,” Flyers coach Craig Berube said. “Playing in his first exhibition in the NHL, I thought he was tremendous.
“He did some really good things with the puck.”
The Flyers might keep Morin around for a regular-season audition before sending him back, much like they did with Scott Laughton last year.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 7
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 17
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)