Philly signs ’13 first-rounder Morin to entry-level deal

Sep 17, 2013, 1:57 PM EDT

SamMorin Getty Images

The Flyers have reached terms with Samuel Morin on a three-year entry-level deal, the club announced on Tuesday.

Morin, 18, was the club’s first-round pick (11th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.

At 6-foot-6, 211 pounds, Morin was one of the biggest physical specimens available at the draft and the fourth defenseman off the board, behind Nashville’s Seth Jones, Edmonton’s Darnell Nurse and Buffalo’s Rasmus Ristolainen.

CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports Morin’s deal is for $4.275 million over three years.

Panaccio also reports Morin is making it tough for the Flyers to dispatch him back to junior. The QMJHL Rimouski standout had a very solid pro debut on Monday’s 4-3 shootout loss to Washington, setting up Vincent Lecavalier for a power-play marker.

“He was really composed out there with the puck,” Flyers coach Craig Berube said. “Playing in his first exhibition in the NHL, I thought he was tremendous.

“He did some really good things with the puck.”

The Flyers might keep Morin around for a regular-season audition before sending him back, much like they did with Scott Laughton last year.

1. jpelle82 - Sep 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM

i about threw the remote at my tv when the flyers drafted this guy, not looking forward to the possibility of seeing him 6x a year.

• ibieiniid - Sep 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM

thumbs downs on this comment are just stupid.

• ibieiniid - Sep 17, 2013 at 2:40 PM

in retrospect, thumbs down on mine will probably be warranted. thumb away.

2. bricevjohnson - Sep 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM

My only worry is that the Flyers brass expects this kid to be an immediate Chris Pronger replacement right away. Much like goaltenders, defenseman take time to develop. Ease him in slowly Philly.

• withseidelinn - Sep 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Exactly what I thought. He certainly has the size, given he adds at least 20lbs in the next 2-3 years. Very important they don’t rush him, he could be exactly what the Flyers are missing.

• ibieiniid - Sep 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM

you ever want two opposite things to happen so badly it hurts? yeah, that’s me with Morin playing/developing.

• dku5 - Sep 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I have heard the opposite; the Flyers are looking at at least 2 years, but more like 4-6 years before they want to move Morin to the NHL. In fact, From Clark, Homer and Hexy down to Lavvy and Lappy and Berube, the Flyer’s Brass has said they don’t think he will be ready for a few years. These authors are not Flyer’s brass, and they are not the Flyer’s voice.

Also, Goalies take much longer to mature than skaters. Goalies usually hits their NHL prime close to 27, on average. This is why they are rarely taken in the 1st, and why an overwhelming majority of the teams seem to trade them.

• laxman1944 - Sep 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Ok so why even sign him then…..they certainly don’t have to yet.

AND Homer would never trade Carter/Richards…….come on now.

• DonkeyStick - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I thumbs down you just because of all the nicknames you put out there

• dku5 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Lax…while the Flyers are not required to sign draft picks, after 2 yrs he becomes a UFA. The Flyers had to sign him this year or next year, or lose him to FA. His price tag is expected to go up next year, and that makes it more advantageous to sign him this year.

• laxman1944 - Sep 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM

That’s what she said………

3. blackandorangeforlife - Sep 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Get rid of Mezzaros and Coburn and bring him up and keep Lauridson up……They cant be any worse or as injury prone….Yes i am over stating a bit but can you picture these two on the blue line in a few years?…..Neither are afraid to throw those big bodies around unlike the two Vets mentioned above

• goodolejr - Sep 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM

While I agree that having those 2 on the blueline someday will be pretty great, as long as they both pan out, I definitely disagree with keeping them with the big club NOW. Coburn will have a much better year than last because they won’t have to make him play in an offensive role. He’s not the offensive defenseman they tried to make him last year. He’ll be on a pairing with a puck mover so he can play his shutdown role. Mes can go either way in my book, and he’ll likely be traded before the start of the regular season, once teams get a good look at him in some preseason games.

For once, the future looks pretty bright for the Flyers blueline.

• blackandorangeforlife - Sep 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I dont think people read this part “Yes i am over stating a bit”
        My point was we have seen what Coburn can do (not much)
        And if Mez goes down again it is wasted cap space…..Me thinks one of them will make the team.

• goodolejr - Sep 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I wouldn’t say Coburn gives us nothing. He’s a solid defensive defenseman. When he’s asked to play a move offensive role is where the issue is. And if Mes gets hurt, he could easily go on LTIR if it’s a serious injury. His contract is done after this year so that wouldn’t really matter.

I know you said you were over-stating a bit but I just think the best option for the development of both Morin and Lauridsen would be to keep them in juniors (or AHL in Lauridsen’s case). If anyone should be up with the big club I guess I’d go with Lauridsen strictly because he has already had time in the NHL and kind of knows what to expect. It’s never good to rush a player, especially defensemen. With the promise Morin showed, I’d rather they play it safe.

• phillyphanatic77 - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Coburn is totally underrated by this fanbase. Yes, he had a miserable season but he’s still a solid #4 defenseman. He gets the same treatment as Carle did bc they sometimes make glaring mistakes, but neither are as bad as folks make them out to be. Ppl in this city don’t appreciate the positives that Coburn brings bc he never developed into the top-pairing defender that his skillset suggests he could be. 6’5 players with his mobility don’t grow on trees, even if he’s not particularly dangerous offensively or totally sound defensively.

If there’s a choice between keeping Coburn and keeping Meszaros, I’d take Coburn every time.

• blackandorangeforlife - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

“Coburn is totally underrated by this fanbase”
        “even if he’s not particularly dangerous offensively or totally sound defensively”
        He could be a 20 foot tree…..if he is mediocre then he is not underacted nor using that size to his advantage…..Chris Therien was the same way….Big but not very effective…..Good but could have been better much better

4. billyhauntswizards - Sep 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Philly REALLY can’t rush this guy. I was dumbfounded when the Flyers drafted him over Zadorov at first but holy hell this kid will be a nightmare to play against. He’s the type players see in their nightmares, despite his baby face lol. Flyers have something good, but really, don’t rush him.

5. icelovinbrotha215 - Sep 17, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Patience is the key. Idk if Snider has much left. I do like the draft pick and Morin addresses a need.

• laxman1944 - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

“But I want an Oompa Loompa Now”!!!!!!!!

6. phillyphanatic77 - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Like most Flyers fans I wanted Pulock or Zadorov at #11, but the more I watch Morin practice and in the preseason the more I think the club may have made a sound decision. The kid is very poised in the defensive zone and brings a booming shot (if it’s not too accurate) to the point. He’s aggressive, physical, but not overly so. And obviously you can’t teach 6’6″ size. But I think the best part is that he’s barely 18 (17 when drafted). If he looks this solid at such a young age, I can’t wait to see how he looks at 21-22.

And with the Flyers depth on the blueline there’s no need to rush him. Give him another year in juniors and see where he’s at next summer.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches