Sep 17, 2013, 1:57 PM EDT
The Flyers have reached terms with Samuel Morin on a three-year entry-level deal, the club announced on Tuesday.
Morin, 18, was the club’s first-round pick (11th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
At 6-foot-6, 211 pounds, Morin was one of the biggest physical specimens available at the draft and the fourth defenseman off the board, behind Nashville’s Seth Jones, Edmonton’s Darnell Nurse and Buffalo’s Rasmus Ristolainen.
CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports Morin’s deal is for $4.275 million over three years.
Panaccio also reports Morin is making it tough for the Flyers to dispatch him back to junior. The QMJHL Rimouski standout had a very solid pro debut on Monday’s 4-3 shootout loss to Washington, setting up Vincent Lecavalier for a power-play marker.
“He was really composed out there with the puck,” Flyers coach Craig Berube said. “Playing in his first exhibition in the NHL, I thought he was tremendous.
“He did some really good things with the puck.”
The Flyers might keep Morin around for a regular-season audition before sending him back, much like they did with Scott Laughton last year.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 3
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)