Sep 17, 2013, 1:57 PM EDT
The Flyers have reached terms with Samuel Morin on a three-year entry-level deal, the club announced on Tuesday.
Morin, 18, was the club’s first-round pick (11th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
At 6-foot-6, 211 pounds, Morin was one of the biggest physical specimens available at the draft and the fourth defenseman off the board, behind Nashville’s Seth Jones, Edmonton’s Darnell Nurse and Buffalo’s Rasmus Ristolainen.
CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports Morin’s deal is for $4.275 million over three years.
Panaccio also reports Morin is making it tough for the Flyers to dispatch him back to junior. The QMJHL Rimouski standout had a very solid pro debut on Monday’s 4-3 shootout loss to Washington, setting up Vincent Lecavalier for a power-play marker.
“He was really composed out there with the puck,” Flyers coach Craig Berube said. “Playing in his first exhibition in the NHL, I thought he was tremendous.
“He did some really good things with the puck.”
The Flyers might keep Morin around for a regular-season audition before sending him back, much like they did with Scott Laughton last year.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 38
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 31
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 45
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 100
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 6
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (100)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)