Sep 17, 2013, 11:54 PM EST
One could argue that the greatest preseason victory comes in merely avoiding injury, at least if you’re a player with a solidified NHL job. That seemed to be especially true for the Washington Capitals on Tuesday night, as CSNWashington.com reports that Alex Ovechkin barely avoided a collapsing piece of glass at Baltimore’s 51-year-old 1st Mariner Arena.
“Watching the replay, that was very scary,” Capitals coach Adam Oates said. “I think that’s what happens when you don’t play in a building for a while. But it didn’t happen again, so good for that.”
That would have been a pretty awful birthday gift for Ovechkin, who turned 28 today.
Even beyond the cascading glass, the arena – which hasn’t seen even a preseason NHL game since 2011, when the Capitals and Nashville Predators roundly complained about it – the conditions simply didn’t seem optimal for high-level hockey.
“You can’t hold the puck, you can’t shoot it.,” Ovechkin said. “Afraid to go to the boards because it’s too dangerous.”
In 2011, people spoke hopefully about drawing an NHL team to Baltimore full-time, but it would be hard to imagine even getting the Capitals back there very often (at least without significant improvements to the building).
Again, though, the bright side seems to be that there were no major injuries.
(Oh yeah, the Capitals lost 3-2 to the Boston Bruins in a shootout.)
Dec 18, 2013, 1:21 AM EST
A relative unknown is now the hottest goalie in the NHL.
Dec 17, 2013, 11:26 PM EST
In more ways than one.
Dec 17, 2013, 11:07 PM EST
Only one point separate these teams now.
Dec 17, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
Brutal stuff for Evgeni Nabokov & Co.
Dec 17, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Both teams’ differing streaks continue.
Dec 17, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
Florida’s entourage wins fourth in a row.
Dec 17, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
Notice a theme tonight?
Dec 17, 2013, 9:21 PM EST
His boarding hit could draw more than a minor penalty.
Dec 17, 2013, 8:47 PM EST
The Ducks star managed to return.
Dec 17, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Dec 17, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
Mark Fraser in, Frazer McLaren out.
Dec 17, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
He was injured against Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 17, 2013, 5:47 PM EST
“It’s all about hard work, and it goes to everyone.”
Dec 17, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
“It’s all good signs. I’ve still got a lot of work to do.”
Dec 17, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
As illustrated by the picture.
Dec 17, 2013, 3:27 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 17, 2013, 3:09 PM EST
He’ll need surgery to repair a torn tendon.
Dec 17, 2013, 3:04 PM EST
Carolina has three goalies, and that’s one too many.
Dec 17, 2013, 2:58 PM EST
New candidate for Best Headline Ever.
Dec 17, 2013, 2:05 PM EST
Out with a broken hand since Oct. 25.
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 5
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 43
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 100
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (122)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (100)