Sep 17, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
There’s a new proposed financial framework to build an NHL-caliber rink in the Toronto suburb of Markham, according to the general partner of the project, GTA Sports & Entertainment.
This new option proposes that GTA Centre, LP would be responsible for funding all costs towards the construction of the GTA Centre above a maximum amount of $162.5 million, which the City of Markham would facilitate through receiving private sector developer contributions.
As a result of this new option for the financial framework, the City of Markham would no longer need to borrow $325 million — as in the original financial framework option that was approved by an 11-2 vote by City Council in April 2012 — and the GTA Centre would be 100% privately funded.
Two leading investment banking firms, Wall Street firm Jefferies LLC and Bay Street firm Canaccord Genuity have joined the GTA Centre team to support this new option.
“We believe that our new option should be considered seriously by Council members,” said W. Graeme Roustan, Chairman and CEO, GTA Sports & Entertainment. “I have met with several private sector developers who support the GTA Centre and want to make financial contributions to the city towards its development. I am very confident that the City of Markham will come up with a satisfactory way to receive the contributions from the private sector developers.”
Roustan has claimed in the past that an NHL tenant is not required in order for the building to be profitable; however, if a new rink is indeed built, expect the expansion/relocation speculation to heat up again.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)