Sep 17, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
Montreal Canadiens captain Brian Gionta might be able to play in the team’s Oct. 1 season opener, after all.
The 34-year-old winger is recovering from a torn left bicep that sidelined him during the 2013 playoffs, an injury originally believed to cost him the beginning of the 2013-14 campaign. Progress seems to be going better than expected, however, as TVA’s Renaud Lavoie reports that Gionta’s aiming to play in late September and should be cleared for contact later this week.
Gionta scored 26 points in 48 regular season contests in 2013 before collecting an assist in two postseason contests.
The undersized forward’s $5 million cap hit is set to expire next summer, so he has plenty to play for in 2013-14, especially as someone who will register as a 35+ contract (he turns 35 next January).
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 3
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 12
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33