Sep 17, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
Montreal Canadiens captain Brian Gionta might be able to play in the team’s Oct. 1 season opener, after all.
The 34-year-old winger is recovering from a torn left bicep that sidelined him during the 2013 playoffs, an injury originally believed to cost him the beginning of the 2013-14 campaign. Progress seems to be going better than expected, however, as TVA’s Renaud Lavoie reports that Gionta’s aiming to play in late September and should be cleared for contact later this week.
Gionta scored 26 points in 48 regular season contests in 2013 before collecting an assist in two postseason contests.
The undersized forward’s $5 million cap hit is set to expire next summer, so he has plenty to play for in 2013-14, especially as someone who will register as a 35+ contract (he turns 35 next January).
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)