Sep 17, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
Johan Franzen‘s wonky hip is acting up again.
Franzen, who missed seven games last season with a hip flexor injury, will be held out of Detroit’s second exhibition game of the season tonight in Chicago with a similar ailment, the Macomb Daily reports.
Franzen also missed Detroit’s preseason-opening win over Pittsburgh on Monday night.
The 33-year-old Swede has a history of hip issues dating back to the 2008-09 campaign. Last year, the injury derailed what was an otherwise solid campaign from Franzen — he had 31 points in 41 games and finished second on the team in goals and points.
What’s more, his points-per-game average was at 0.76, his highest since the 2009-10 season.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)