Sep 17, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils have announced that Martin Brodeur will be their starting goalie when they open the regular season on Thursday, Oct. 3 with a road date in Pittsburgh.
Though expected, the decision will be a hot-button topic for discussion.
Brodeur, 41, has been New Jersey’s starter since the
beginning of time 1994-95 season, but now faces the stiffest competition of his career in Cory Schneider, the ex-Canucks netminder acquired at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer has been consistent in calling Brodeur the team’s starting goalie ever since the trade, but has often referred to Schneider as a “fantastic 1A” option.
On Monday, the 27-year-old Schneider wowed fans in his Devils debut, stopping all 22 shots faced in the first two periods as the Devils beat the Rangers 2-1 at the Prudential Center.
Those in attendance even began chanting Schneider’s name.
“I thought he was excellent,” DeBoer said following the game. “You obviously want to win the home fans over and he’s playing against his old coach from last year in Vancouver, Alain Vigneault.
“It was nice for him to put up the performance he did and for us to get him a win.”
Battling for the No. 1 gig with an incumbent veteran is nothing new for Schneider.
He spent the last few seasons platooning with Roberto Luongo for the starting job in Vancouver and, in last year’s season opener, got the start for the Canucks before getting hooked for Luongo in a 7-3 loss to the Ducks.
Dec 13, 2013, 2:02 AM EST
All three San Jose goals came on the power play.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
But they snapped that 10-game losing streak the other day.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:03 AM EST
His inconsistent season continues.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:36 AM EST
Quite the funk they’re in when it comes to this aspect.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:17 AM EST
Bet these guys were tired after.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 PM EST
What a day in Calgary. More Brian Burke!
Dec 12, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Yeah, these are tough times.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Didn’t think too highly of it.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
But two points eluded them.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Dec 12, 2013, 10:06 PM EST
And it’s getting worse in New York.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
Nice moment in Philly.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
Montreal defenseman’s night ends early.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
Jonathan Bernier takes over.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
Tough time to be a Columbus goalie.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
Cam Talbot was cheered upon entering the game.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
No word on the severity of TT’s injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
He’s been out with a lower-body injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Oilers coach wants to use “speed” and “smarts” tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
Oh, and Anders Nilsson sent back to AHL.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)