Sep 17, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils have announced that Martin Brodeur will be their starting goalie when they open the regular season on Thursday, Oct. 3 with a road date in Pittsburgh.
Though expected, the decision will be a hot-button topic for discussion.
Brodeur, 41, has been New Jersey’s starter since the
beginning of time 1994-95 season, but now faces the stiffest competition of his career in Cory Schneider, the ex-Canucks netminder acquired at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer has been consistent in calling Brodeur the team’s starting goalie ever since the trade, but has often referred to Schneider as a “fantastic 1A” option.
On Monday, the 27-year-old Schneider wowed fans in his Devils debut, stopping all 22 shots faced in the first two periods as the Devils beat the Rangers 2-1 at the Prudential Center.
Those in attendance even began chanting Schneider’s name.
“I thought he was excellent,” DeBoer said following the game. “You obviously want to win the home fans over and he’s playing against his old coach from last year in Vancouver, Alain Vigneault.
“It was nice for him to put up the performance he did and for us to get him a win.”
Battling for the No. 1 gig with an incumbent veteran is nothing new for Schneider.
He spent the last few seasons platooning with Roberto Luongo for the starting job in Vancouver and, in last year’s season opener, got the start for the Canucks before getting hooked for Luongo in a 7-3 loss to the Ducks.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Callahan and Stamkos lead the way in win over Rangers.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Avs fall 3-2 to the Blackhawks.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Returned after missing four games due to injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
The Pittsburgh captain reaches point No. 800 in the win.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:20 PM EST
Scores his seventh of the season.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Also touches on Martin St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
Appeared to hurt his left shoulder. Team calling it an upper body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
The Winnipeg forward was tossed from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
Has the game’s opening goal tonight.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
Gets a double-minor on the play.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Spent 13 seasons in Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Opened the scoring for Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Expected to join the Blues for practice on Friday.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Replaced by Andre Benoit.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Was hurt during Tuesday’s practice.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Two teams meet for the second time this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:12 PM EST
After an injury to Brian Elliott.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Yappy Lappy was at it again.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
“Anybody can GM, anybody can be a president… whether you’re going to be good at it or not, who knows.”
Nov 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
San Jose coach is feeling the heat.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)