Sep 17, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have announced that Martin Brodeur will be their starting goalie when they open the regular season on Thursday, Oct. 3 with a road date in Pittsburgh.
Though expected, the decision will be a hot-button topic for discussion.
Brodeur, 41, has been New Jersey’s starter since the
beginning of time 1994-95 season, but now faces the stiffest competition of his career in Cory Schneider, the ex-Canucks netminder acquired at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Devils head coach Peter DeBoer has been consistent in calling Brodeur the team’s starting goalie ever since the trade, but has often referred to Schneider as a “fantastic 1A” option.
On Monday, the 27-year-old Schneider wowed fans in his Devils debut, stopping all 22 shots faced in the first two periods as the Devils beat the Rangers 2-1 at the Prudential Center.
Those in attendance even began chanting Schneider’s name.
“I thought he was excellent,” DeBoer said following the game. “You obviously want to win the home fans over and he’s playing against his old coach from last year in Vancouver, Alain Vigneault.
“It was nice for him to put up the performance he did and for us to get him a win.”
Battling for the No. 1 gig with an incumbent veteran is nothing new for Schneider.
He spent the last few seasons platooning with Roberto Luongo for the starting job in Vancouver and, in last year’s season opener, got the start for the Canucks before getting hooked for Luongo in a 7-3 loss to the Ducks.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 0
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 47
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 22
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)