Sep 17, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers forward Sean Couturier‘s second season in the NHL hardly went as planned. He seemed to regress defensively and ended up with just 15 points in 46 games. The good news is that sophomore slumps are nothing new and third-year rebounds happen too.
When asked what he needs to improve on in 2013-14, Couturier told CSN Philly, “I think my whole game.”
If there was a silver lining to the Flyers missing the playoffs, it’s that it gave Couturier a longer offseason to work towards that. He added roughly eight pounds over the summer and his burst speed has improved.
“The first 10 feet is where he needed to be quicker,” Flyers assistant coach Craig Berube said. “That’s where people like Jake Voracek get away from guys — they get off, then they’re gone. That’s where he had to get quicker for me. Once he gets going, he’s fine. You pull away from people and create space for yourself.”
Couturier had two assists in Monday’s preseason contest, but he was playing on a line with Jason Akeson and Voracek. When the season opens, he’ll likely be skating alongside Matt Read and one of Marcel Noebels, Tye McGinn, and Michael Raffl on the team’s third line.
Philadelphia isn’t counting on the 20-year-old forward to break out in 2013-14, but they do need his line to be sound defensively and chip in a bit offensively. Whether or not Couturier is a major factor in how effective Philadelphia’s bottom-six is this season.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 3
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 16
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 18
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)