Sep 16, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Another high-profile defenseman will be wearing a shield this season.
Minnesota’s Ryan Suter, the runner-up for last year’s Norris Trophy, has decided to wear a visor this season after spending his first eight NHL seasons without one.
Suter, 28, said an incident last season — he was hit in the helmet with a slapshot — essentially changed his mind about wearing one.
“An inch over, I could have lost my eye,” he told the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “Just not worth it anymore. Everyone else can wear it, why can’t I?”
This season marks the first that the NHL has made visor usage mandatory for incoming players. Those who played without previously have been grandfathered in, though a number of non-wearers — Dan Girardi and all the Staal brothers — have since switched over.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)