Sep 16, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
After failing to find work in North America, Jeff Halpern is headed overseas.
Halpern, 37, has signed a deal with TPS of Finland’s SM-liiga, the club announced on Monday.
A 13-year NHL veteran that spent time with Washington, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Montreal and the New York Rangers, Halpern enjoyed his finest moments as a member of the Capitals prior to the 2004-05 work stoppage. He scored a career-high 21 goals in 2000-01 and a career-high 34 points in 2003-04.
In the later stages of his career, Halpern forged a niche as an effective penalty killer and defensive forward. Last year he split time between the Habs and Rangers, appearing in three of Montreal’s five first-round playoff games against Ottawa.
Last week, Halpern lamented to the Washington Post his inability to find a new NHL gig under the reduced salary cap.
“I still know I can play the game, it’s just whether you get an opportunity to prove that point,” Halpern told the Post. “I wouldn’t say it throws you into thoughts of retirement, but it definitely makes me reflect on a lot of points of my career.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)