Sep 16, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
After failing to find work in North America, Jeff Halpern is headed overseas.
Halpern, 37, has signed a deal with TPS of Finland’s SM-liiga, the club announced on Monday.
A 13-year NHL veteran that spent time with Washington, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Montreal and the New York Rangers, Halpern enjoyed his finest moments as a member of the Capitals prior to the 2004-05 work stoppage. He scored a career-high 21 goals in 2000-01 and a career-high 34 points in 2003-04.
In the later stages of his career, Halpern forged a niche as an effective penalty killer and defensive forward. Last year he split time between the Habs and Rangers, appearing in three of Montreal’s five first-round playoff games against Ottawa.
Last week, Halpern lamented to the Washington Post his inability to find a new NHL gig under the reduced salary cap.
“I still know I can play the game, it’s just whether you get an opportunity to prove that point,” Halpern told the Post. “I wouldn’t say it throws you into thoughts of retirement, but it definitely makes me reflect on a lot of points of my career.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)