Sep 16, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
After failing to find work in North America, Jeff Halpern is headed overseas.
Halpern, 37, has signed a deal with TPS of Finland’s SM-liiga, the club announced on Monday.
A 13-year NHL veteran that spent time with Washington, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Montreal and the New York Rangers, Halpern enjoyed his finest moments as a member of the Capitals prior to the 2004-05 work stoppage. He scored a career-high 21 goals in 2000-01 and a career-high 34 points in 2003-04.
In the later stages of his career, Halpern forged a niche as an effective penalty killer and defensive forward. Last year he split time between the Habs and Rangers, appearing in three of Montreal’s five first-round playoff games against Ottawa.
Last week, Halpern lamented to the Washington Post his inability to find a new NHL gig under the reduced salary cap.
“I still know I can play the game, it’s just whether you get an opportunity to prove that point,” Halpern told the Post. “I wouldn’t say it throws you into thoughts of retirement, but it definitely makes me reflect on a lot of points of my career.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)