Sep 16, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
Looks like we have our first official sound bite of the John Tortorella era in Vancouver. Below you can see what happened Monday when a cameraman’s phone started ringing during the head coach’s media availability at Rogers Arena.
“That’s going to be a major-league fine, I tell ya,” snapped Tortorella. “I’ll walk if cellphones go off, I’ll walk.”
Today’s relatively gentle admonishment (at least, compared to his previous run-ins with media members) has already been picked up by The Province newspaper, the Vancouver Sun newspaper, Metro newspaper, and the video was clipped by TSN.ca — just in case Torts was still wondering if he’d be under the microscope coaching in a Canadian city.
The Canucks host the San Jose Sharks tonight in a preseason game.
In the meantime, here’s a classic Torts-versus-the-media moment.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)