Sep 16, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
Looks like we have our first official sound bite of the John Tortorella era in Vancouver. Below you can see what happened Monday when a cameraman’s phone started ringing during the head coach’s media availability at Rogers Arena.
“That’s going to be a major-league fine, I tell ya,” snapped Tortorella. “I’ll walk if cellphones go off, I’ll walk.”
Today’s relatively gentle admonishment (at least, compared to his previous run-ins with media members) has already been picked up by The Province newspaper, the Vancouver Sun newspaper, Metro newspaper, and the video was clipped by TSN.ca — just in case Torts was still wondering if he’d be under the microscope coaching in a Canadian city.
The Canucks host the San Jose Sharks tonight in a preseason game.
In the meantime, here’s a classic Torts-versus-the-media moment.
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 3
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 32
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 17
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 35
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)