Sep 16, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
Looks like we have our first official sound bite of the John Tortorella era in Vancouver. Below you can see what happened Monday when a cameraman’s phone started ringing during the head coach’s media availability at Rogers Arena.
“That’s going to be a major-league fine, I tell ya,” snapped Tortorella. “I’ll walk if cellphones go off, I’ll walk.”
Today’s relatively gentle admonishment (at least, compared to his previous run-ins with media members) has already been picked up by The Province newspaper, the Vancouver Sun newspaper, Metro newspaper, and the video was clipped by TSN.ca — just in case Torts was still wondering if he’d be under the microscope coaching in a Canadian city.
The Canucks host the San Jose Sharks tonight in a preseason game.
In the meantime, here’s a classic Torts-versus-the-media moment.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)