Sep 16, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
Looks like we have our first official sound bite of the John Tortorella era in Vancouver. Below you can see what happened Monday when a cameraman’s phone started ringing during the head coach’s media availability at Rogers Arena.
“That’s going to be a major-league fine, I tell ya,” snapped Tortorella. “I’ll walk if cellphones go off, I’ll walk.”
Today’s relatively gentle admonishment (at least, compared to his previous run-ins with media members) has already been picked up by The Province newspaper, the Vancouver Sun newspaper, Metro newspaper, and the video was clipped by TSN.ca — just in case Torts was still wondering if he’d be under the microscope coaching in a Canadian city.
The Canucks host the San Jose Sharks tonight in a preseason game.
In the meantime, here’s a classic Torts-versus-the-media moment.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)