Sep 16, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
Panthers defenseman Brian Campbell has played with Tim Thomas before (in Finland, during the 2004-05 lockout), and he welcomes the opportunity to do so again.
For Campbell, Thomas’ politics are no concern.
“Timmie has strong political views and I think that’s great,” said Campbell, per the Miami Herald. “I’ve learned a lot from him. You can ask him questions about things.
“Everyone has their opinions and that doesn’t hurt anyone. The whole White House thing, well, maybe you would like him to go but he cares about his country. If that’s his biggest fault, well, let’s move past it. He has strong views about everything, not just politics.”
Thomas will reportedly join Panthers practice Tuesday on a tryout basis.
Of note, Campbell’s comments today were very much in line with those of his former coach in Boston, Claude Julien.
“Tim wasn’t a bad person. I’m very clear on that,” said Julien in February, per the Boston Globe. “He’s a person that had his views, and was pretty strong in his own views at times. But never a bad person. That’s why a lot of times, we didn’t feel he was a distraction. He was just a guy that thought differently. I know a lot of times guys would say, ‘You know what? As long as he stops pucks, we’re OK with it.’ That was the consensus of our players in the dressing room.”
Thomas, 39, took last year off from hockey to focus on “friends, family and faith.”
“I enjoyed my time playing with Tim,” said Campbell. “He’s a great goalie, a great battler and a great person. Him coming here is a bonus for us. We feel we have two strong goaltenders here but if you can add a piece like this, it’s not going to hurt you.”
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)