Sep 16, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
After a relatively quiet summer on the Tim Thomas front, it looks like he will be attempting a comeback after all.
The 39-year-old goaltender might join the Florida Panthers today on a professional tryout offer, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. He cautioned that nothing has been finalized, but the team is reportedly working on the last insurance issues.
Thomas would provide the Panthers with a seasoned veteran to either compliment 23-year-old goaltender Jacob Markstrom or perhaps compete for starts with Scott Clemmensen once he returns from a knee injury.
Of course, Thomas decided not to play in 2012-13 and it remains to be seen how badly that will impact him. That risk factor is likely all that kept the two-time Vezina Trophy winner from signing a guaranteed contract over the summer.
As it is, Florida is hedging its bets if it manages to get Thomas under these circumstances. If the year off hasn’t slowed him down though, then he could make a big impact on a young Panthers team that’s fighting to make the playoffs for just the second time in 13 seasons.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)