Sep 16, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
After a relatively quiet summer on the Tim Thomas front, it looks like he will be attempting a comeback after all.
The 39-year-old goaltender might join the Florida Panthers today on a professional tryout offer, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. He cautioned that nothing has been finalized, but the team is reportedly working on the last insurance issues.
Thomas would provide the Panthers with a seasoned veteran to either compliment 23-year-old goaltender Jacob Markstrom or perhaps compete for starts with Scott Clemmensen once he returns from a knee injury.
Of course, Thomas decided not to play in 2012-13 and it remains to be seen how badly that will impact him. That risk factor is likely all that kept the two-time Vezina Trophy winner from signing a guaranteed contract over the summer.
As it is, Florida is hedging its bets if it manages to get Thomas under these circumstances. If the year off hasn’t slowed him down though, then he could make a big impact on a young Panthers team that’s fighting to make the playoffs for just the second time in 13 seasons.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 47
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 24
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 21
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 8
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (76)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)