Sep 16, 2013, 10:02 AM EST
After a relatively quiet summer on the Tim Thomas front, it looks like he will be attempting a comeback after all.
The 39-year-old goaltender might join the Florida Panthers today on a professional tryout offer, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. He cautioned that nothing has been finalized, but the team is reportedly working on the last insurance issues.
Thomas would provide the Panthers with a seasoned veteran to either compliment 23-year-old goaltender Jacob Markstrom or perhaps compete for starts with Scott Clemmensen once he returns from a knee injury.
Of course, Thomas decided not to play in 2012-13 and it remains to be seen how badly that will impact him. That risk factor is likely all that kept the two-time Vezina Trophy winner from signing a guaranteed contract over the summer.
As it is, Florida is hedging its bets if it manages to get Thomas under these circumstances. If the year off hasn’t slowed him down though, then he could make a big impact on a young Panthers team that’s fighting to make the playoffs for just the second time in 13 seasons.
Tim Thomas will try out with Pathers but expect him to sign a contract after. Value should be around $2.0M to $2.5M.—
Renaud Lavoie (@LavoieRenaud) September 16, 2013
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 34
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)