Sep 16, 2013, 10:02 AM EDT
After a relatively quiet summer on the Tim Thomas front, it looks like he will be attempting a comeback after all.
The 39-year-old goaltender might join the Florida Panthers today on a professional tryout offer, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. He cautioned that nothing has been finalized, but the team is reportedly working on the last insurance issues.
Thomas would provide the Panthers with a seasoned veteran to either compliment 23-year-old goaltender Jacob Markstrom or perhaps compete for starts with Scott Clemmensen once he returns from a knee injury.
Of course, Thomas decided not to play in 2012-13 and it remains to be seen how badly that will impact him. That risk factor is likely all that kept the two-time Vezina Trophy winner from signing a guaranteed contract over the summer.
As it is, Florida is hedging its bets if it manages to get Thomas under these circumstances. If the year off hasn’t slowed him down though, then he could make a big impact on a young Panthers team that’s fighting to make the playoffs for just the second time in 13 seasons.
Tim Thomas will try out with Pathers but expect him to sign a contract after. Value should be around $2.0M to $2.5M.—
Renaud Lavoie (@LavoieRenaud) September 16, 2013
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)