Sep 16, 2013, 7:53 PM EDT
To little surprise, there’s no word regarding what kind of term or salary is being discussed (it’s early, after all).
The 20-year-old forward is entering the final season of his entry-level contract. It’s believed that he won’t be able to play in the team’s season opener and may need to rehab into November.
Whenever the top pick of the 2011 NHL Draft is healthy, he’d have much to gain in proving that he can handle an 82-game workload, as the jury’s still out on whether his frame can handle the wear and tear. Nugent-Hopkins missed 20 games in 2011-12 and was limited to 40 contests in 2013.
Picking comparable contracts could be the trickiest part.
Valette would likely trot out RNH’s teammates Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle, two young standouts who are carrying $6 million cap hits. The Oilers would probably counter with Sam Gagner and David Perron‘s contracts, if not Nazem Kadri‘s bridge deals.
Regardless, the Oilers are wise to try to get something done soon while continuing to lock up the young core that still has fans excited about Edmonton’s future.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)