Sep 16, 2013, 7:53 PM EDT
To little surprise, there’s no word regarding what kind of term or salary is being discussed (it’s early, after all).
The 20-year-old forward is entering the final season of his entry-level contract. It’s believed that he won’t be able to play in the team’s season opener and may need to rehab into November.
Whenever the top pick of the 2011 NHL Draft is healthy, he’d have much to gain in proving that he can handle an 82-game workload, as the jury’s still out on whether his frame can handle the wear and tear. Nugent-Hopkins missed 20 games in 2011-12 and was limited to 40 contests in 2013.
Picking comparable contracts could be the trickiest part.
Valette would likely trot out RNH’s teammates Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle, two young standouts who are carrying $6 million cap hits. The Oilers would probably counter with Sam Gagner and David Perron‘s contracts, if not Nazem Kadri‘s bridge deals.
Regardless, the Oilers are wise to try to get something done soon while continuing to lock up the young core that still has fans excited about Edmonton’s future.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 0
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 17
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 37
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 21
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)