Sep 16, 2013, 12:27 AM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes tough guy Paul Bissonnette dropped his gloves in reaction to the hit teammate Rostislav Klesla received on Sunday night, but depending on the details, he might not be able to defend his colleagues when the regular season begins.
Video of the Jordan Nolan-on-Klesla hit hasn’t been made available yet, so it’s not surprising that a clip of Bissonnette,28, possibly leaving the bench cannot be found at this time.
Note: AZ Central’s Sarah McLellan reports that Klesla, 31, hasn’t been taken to the hospital yet (possibly for precautionary reasons).
Naturally, it’s the NHL’s call regarding suspensions for Nolan and/or Bissonnette, like any other situation. Unfortunately, the difference between tonight and the regular season is that video evidence is much easier to come by when the games start to “matter.” So we’ll wait and see if anything comes of this.
In other notes, Coyotes defenseman Zbynek Michalek was banged up during the game, but he returned to action with a cage added to his helmet, according to McLellan. It’s been a rough game by any standards.
Related: Klesla leaves game on stretcher
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)