Sep 16, 2013, 5:36 PM EST
Damien Brunner may have finally found a new NHL gig.
The Swiss forward, who scored 26 points for Detroit last season, will reportedly attend New Jersey’s training camp on a professional try out, according to Swiss news outlet Radiotelevisione Svizzera.
UPDATE: Devils GM Lou Lamoriello has confirmed Brunner will be in camp.
Brunner, 27, finished third on the Red Wings with 12 goals last year, his first in the NHL.
There had been reports he was contemplating a return to Switzerland’s National League A — he spent the 2011-12 season with Zug, led the league in scoring and was named forward of the year — but in mid-August, his agent (Neil Sheehy) said Brunner would play in the NHL this season.
New Jersey is a logical landing spot.
The Devils are in need of scoring up front after finishing 28th in the NHL in goals per game (2.29) last season. What’s more, the club has nearly $4 million in available cap space following Ilya Kovalchuk’s shock retirement with 14 years and $77 million left on his contract.
Brunner played last season on a one-year, $1.35 million deal and could be seeking a raise, given his production and strong playoff (nine points in 14 games).
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 14
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 54
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 101
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)