Sep 16, 2013, 9:47 AM EDT
Edmonton Oilers coach Dallas Eakins is looking for ways to get the Edmonton Oilers to move past the rebuilding stage and it looks like part of his answer involves taking a step away from their past, based on an Edmonton Sun report.
In the 1980s, the Oilers were a stacked team worthy of the dynasty label and until recently, their locker room was a shine to that, complete with plaques, pictures, and the names of the team’s former greats. That’s not the case anymore.
Eakins wants to make sure that his players feel like it’s their dressing room, rather than Mark Messier’s. With that in mind, he’s made some significant changes. Among other things, many of the pictures have been removed and will be replaced by photos of those currently serving on the team.
When it comes to Eakins’ coaching staff and the team’s upper management, the new head coach is somewhat unique due to his lack of connection with the glory days Oilers. President Kevin Lowe, GM Craig MacTavish, and Eakins’ assistant coaches all won the Cup with Edmonton.
Their presence gave deeper meaning to the “Once An Oiler – Always An Oiler” sign — which, by the way, has also been removed.
“Listen, when we walk in that door, there’s five Stanley Cups standing there,” Eakins said. “That’s a great piece of history. That’s the only thing that counts.”
Oct 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
The rookie defensmen were recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
A rematch of last spring’s playoff series.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Suffered a skate cut to his right eyelid Friday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Antti Raanta and Brian Elliott go head-to-head as the Blackhawks and Blues battle in St. Louis.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The coach was quick to call home following Wednesday’s practice.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
The Habs’ starter was injured in Game 1 of last spring’s Eastern Conference final against New York.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Josh Bailey placed on IR.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Anthems will be played from Ottawa to the buildings in Montreal and Toronto.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
San Jose hosts Buffalo in a Saturday matinee
Oct 25, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Stars overcome controversial goal call for win in New Jersey.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It was the game-winner, too.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)