Sep 16, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
The NHL is still evaluating two controversial incidents from Sunday night’s Los Angeles-Phoenix game, a league spokesman said on Monday.
The incidents, which occurred during Phoenix’s 4-2 win, came with eight minutes left in the opening frame.
Nolan was given two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct and, of note, had been penalized for roughing earlier in the period.
Following the hit on Klesla, ‘Yotes forward Paul Bissonnette left the Phoenix bench to engage in a fight with Nolan, and was given a game misconduct.
Leaving the bench for a fight calls for an automatic 10-game suspension, according to rule 70.10.
Nolan insisted the check was clean, and Kings head coach Darryl Sutter said it was “a good hit.”
Phoenix head coach Dave Tippett thought otherwise.
“It seemed to me like a guy got hit in the head and a player left his feet,” Tippett said afterward. “That’s not for me to diagnose, the league does a good job of those and when they feel like there is a violation they take action.
“So, the league will look at it and we will go from there.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 149
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (149)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)