Sep 16, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Goalies don’t usually trade barbs, but if it’s going to happen, it might as well come among local rivals. That seems to be the case between Martin Brodeur and Henrik Lundqvist, as Brodeur seemingly accused Lundqvist of wearing pads for more than just protection, as the Bergen Record reported on Saturday.
“There’s goalies — I won’t name names, but they’re not too far — they have different padding that it’s not about protection,” Brodeur said.
The New York Rangers star netminder shook off the future New Jersey Devils Hall of Famer in Monday’s edition of the New York Post.
“I know people have thought that I look big out there, but that’s never been an issue with me,” Lundqvist said. “I know I’m ‘not too far,’ but I don’t know what he’s talking about.”
Hey, it never hurts to fan the rivalry flames here and there, right?
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)