Sep 16, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Goalies don’t usually trade barbs, but if it’s going to happen, it might as well come among local rivals. That seems to be the case between Martin Brodeur and Henrik Lundqvist, as Brodeur seemingly accused Lundqvist of wearing pads for more than just protection, as the Bergen Record reported on Saturday.
“There’s goalies — I won’t name names, but they’re not too far — they have different padding that it’s not about protection,” Brodeur said.
The New York Rangers star netminder shook off the future New Jersey Devils Hall of Famer in Monday’s edition of the New York Post.
“I know people have thought that I look big out there, but that’s never been an issue with me,” Lundqvist said. “I know I’m ‘not too far,’ but I don’t know what he’s talking about.”
Hey, it never hurts to fan the rivalry flames here and there, right?
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (47)