Sep 16, 2013, 10:40 PM EST
Goalies don’t usually trade barbs, but if it’s going to happen, it might as well come among local rivals. That seems to be the case between Martin Brodeur and Henrik Lundqvist, as Brodeur seemingly accused Lundqvist of wearing pads for more than just protection, as the Bergen Record reported on Saturday.
“There’s goalies — I won’t name names, but they’re not too far — they have different padding that it’s not about protection,” Brodeur said.
The New York Rangers star netminder shook off the future New Jersey Devils Hall of Famer in Monday’s edition of the New York Post.
“I know people have thought that I look big out there, but that’s never been an issue with me,” Lundqvist said. “I know I’m ‘not too far,’ but I don’t know what he’s talking about.”
Hey, it never hurts to fan the rivalry flames here and there, right?
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)