Sep 16, 2013, 10:40 PM EST
Goalies don’t usually trade barbs, but if it’s going to happen, it might as well come among local rivals. That seems to be the case between Martin Brodeur and Henrik Lundqvist, as Brodeur seemingly accused Lundqvist of wearing pads for more than just protection, as the Bergen Record reported on Saturday.
“There’s goalies — I won’t name names, but they’re not too far — they have different padding that it’s not about protection,” Brodeur said.
The New York Rangers star netminder shook off the future New Jersey Devils Hall of Famer in Monday’s edition of the New York Post.
“I know people have thought that I look big out there, but that’s never been an issue with me,” Lundqvist said. “I know I’m ‘not too far,’ but I don’t know what he’s talking about.”
Hey, it never hurts to fan the rivalry flames here and there, right?
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 25
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 2
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)