Sep 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
The day after a rough-and-tumble affair against Montreal, Buffalo agitator Patrick Kaleta had a message for future opponents.
“We want to establish that we are a team and no one is going to take liberties on old guys, young guys,” Kaleta told the Buffalo News. “You’re going to have to deal with all five guys on the ice. We want to establish that early.”
On Sunday, Kaleta tried to hammer home that point.
That wasn’t all from Buffalo.
Earlier in the game, Cody McCormick responded to Jarred Tinordi’s big hit on Colton Gillies by challenging Tinordi to a scrap.
Buffalo’s team toughness has been called out in the past (see: Ryan Miller vs. Milan Lucic) and now it seems that, rather than relying on a tough guy like John Scott to handle the rough stuff, the whole team will step up if need be.
Just ask Kaleta.
“We want to be a team that’s tough to play against,” he explained. “You’re going to have to go through five of us, not just one.”
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 69
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)