Sep 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
The day after a rough-and-tumble affair against Montreal, Buffalo agitator Patrick Kaleta had a message for future opponents.
“We want to establish that we are a team and no one is going to take liberties on old guys, young guys,” Kaleta told the Buffalo News. “You’re going to have to deal with all five guys on the ice. We want to establish that early.”
On Sunday, Kaleta tried to hammer home that point.
That wasn’t all from Buffalo.
Earlier in the game, Cody McCormick responded to Jarred Tinordi’s big hit on Colton Gillies by challenging Tinordi to a scrap.
Buffalo’s team toughness has been called out in the past (see: Ryan Miller vs. Milan Lucic) and now it seems that, rather than relying on a tough guy like John Scott to handle the rough stuff, the whole team will step up if need be.
Just ask Kaleta.
“We want to be a team that’s tough to play against,” he explained. “You’re going to have to go through five of us, not just one.”
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)