Sep 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
The day after a rough-and-tumble affair against Montreal, Buffalo agitator Patrick Kaleta had a message for future opponents.
“We want to establish that we are a team and no one is going to take liberties on old guys, young guys,” Kaleta told the Buffalo News. “You’re going to have to deal with all five guys on the ice. We want to establish that early.”
On Sunday, Kaleta tried to hammer home that point.
That wasn’t all from Buffalo.
Earlier in the game, Cody McCormick responded to Jarred Tinordi’s big hit on Colton Gillies by challenging Tinordi to a scrap.
Buffalo’s team toughness has been called out in the past (see: Ryan Miller vs. Milan Lucic) and now it seems that, rather than relying on a tough guy like John Scott to handle the rough stuff, the whole team will step up if need be.
Just ask Kaleta.
“We want to be a team that’s tough to play against,” he explained. “You’re going to have to go through five of us, not just one.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)