Sep 16, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
When asked how he felt about Ondrej Pavelec being left off of ESPN’s top 25 goalies list, Winnipeg Jets head coach Claude Noel told the Winnipeg Free Press that he understood that slight considering the 26-year-old’s mediocre numbers. The most important thing to Noel is that he believes Pavelec is good enough to help the team contend, though.
“Yes, I am confident in our goaltending,” Noel said. “I think it’s good enough to help us get in the playoffs. But that’s part of the solution. Our players have to check better. We have to do some things better from the previous two years to get in the playoffs, and goaltending is going to have to also pick up.”
It’s unusual to see a head coach do anything but smother his No.1 guy (and other netminders) with praise, yet it’s understandable that Noel is straddling the line between being positive and applying some tough love.
After all, Pavelec’s career .907 save percentage and 91-99-28 record make it tough to rave all that much, so perhaps his bench boss is merely demanding more before he provides a glowing review.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)