Sep 16, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
NHL goalies caught using illegal equipment will be given a two-game suspension, writes the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman in his weekly “30 Thoughts” column. In addition, the goalie’s team will be fined $25,000 and the equipment manager will get dinged for $1,000.
This is not a new penalty, but it’s worth knowing/remembering after the maximum allowable height of goalie pads was reduced for the 2013-14 season.
The previous rule, instituted prior to the 2010-11 season, was that a goalie’s leg pads could not go higher on his leg than 55 percent of the distance between the center of his knee and his pelvis. If a goalie’s upper-leg measurement was 20 inches, roughly the average number in the NHL, the pad could not go higher than 11 inches above the center of his knee.
That number is now be 45 percent, so the same goalie will be able to wear a pad that goes no higher than 9 inches above his knee.
Friedman reports that former NHL netminder Kay Whitmore, now employed by the league as its goalie supervisor, will be traveling more this season to make inspections.
“It was made very clear that is going to be a priority,” Whitmore said.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)