Sep 16, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
NHL goalies caught using illegal equipment will be given a two-game suspension, writes the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman in his weekly “30 Thoughts” column. In addition, the goalie’s team will be fined $25,000 and the equipment manager will get dinged for $1,000.
This is not a new penalty, but it’s worth knowing/remembering after the maximum allowable height of goalie pads was reduced for the 2013-14 season.
The previous rule, instituted prior to the 2010-11 season, was that a goalie’s leg pads could not go higher on his leg than 55 percent of the distance between the center of his knee and his pelvis. If a goalie’s upper-leg measurement was 20 inches, roughly the average number in the NHL, the pad could not go higher than 11 inches above the center of his knee.
That number is now be 45 percent, so the same goalie will be able to wear a pad that goes no higher than 9 inches above his knee.
Friedman reports that former NHL netminder Kay Whitmore, now employed by the league as its goalie supervisor, will be traveling more this season to make inspections.
“It was made very clear that is going to be a priority,” Whitmore said.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)