Sep 16, 2013, 11:40 AM EST
The Blue Jackets won their preseason opener 5-4 against Pittsburgh on Sunday night, but the result might’ve been secondary to Columbus’ brass.
In discussing a huge third-period scrap between Jackets defenseman James Wisniewski and Pens forward Joe Vitale, Columbus head coach Todd Richards and president John Davidson were full of praise for Wisniewski.
“I loved it,” Richards told the Columbus Dispatch.
“If you’ve got to fight, you may as well win,” Davidson explained. “And did you see the way the team reacted?”
Here’s the fight in question:
Vitale left for observation following the tilt, the seventh he’s had at the NHL level.
It’s easy to understand why the Jackets were so hyped over Wisniewski’s performance (he also chipped in with a goal and an assist for the Gordie Howe hat trick). The team hasn’t received much from the 29-year-old after giving him a six-year, $33 million deal two years ago.
Now, the Jackets are looking at him to be a leader as they chase their second playoff berth in franchise history.
“When I think of James Wisniewski, I think of what has made him the player he is,” Richards explained. “It’s the edge, and playing on that edge with intensity.
“He showed me a lot tonight.”
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 18
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 31
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 32
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 54
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 162
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (163)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (58)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)