Sep 16, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
Even though he made the NHL’s All-Rookie team last year, Jake Allen knows his immediate future is probably in the AHL.
“Obviously we all know the situation,” Allen told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’m not a dumb guy.”
Allen, 23, wasn’t slated to play for the Blues last season. The goal was supposed to belong to Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott but, thanks to a combination of injuries and ineffective play, Allen was given a chance to start and he took advantage, posting a 9-4-0 record with a 2.46 GAA and .905 save percentage.
In July, Allen was rewarded with a two-year, $1.6 million extension.
The Blues are expected to go back to the Halak-Elliott timeshare this season, however, meaning Allen will likely open the year with AHL Chicago.
“I can control what I can control,” Allen said. “I can control how well I play and how bad I play, to be honest, and right now I’m just trying to play as well as I can. The decision is up to the management, but I want to prove that I’m here to stay here.
“But you’ve got to look at it in realistic terms too.”
The interesting subplot is if — or when — St. Louis calls on Allen during the season.
The club has high hopes for a Stanley Cup run and won’t allow the effort to be derailed by poor goaltending. Should either Halak or Elliott falter, there’s a good chance the club would make a change.
Last year, the Blues responded to a “critical” point of the season by giving Allen the starting gig, and he responded by winning five straight games.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)