Sep 16, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
Even though he made the NHL’s All-Rookie team last year, Jake Allen knows his immediate future is probably in the AHL.
“Obviously we all know the situation,” Allen told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’m not a dumb guy.”
Allen, 23, wasn’t slated to play for the Blues last season. The goal was supposed to belong to Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott but, thanks to a combination of injuries and ineffective play, Allen was given a chance to start and he took advantage, posting a 9-4-0 record with a 2.46 GAA and .905 save percentage.
In July, Allen was rewarded with a two-year, $1.6 million extension.
The Blues are expected to go back to the Halak-Elliott timeshare this season, however, meaning Allen will likely open the year with AHL Chicago.
“I can control what I can control,” Allen said. “I can control how well I play and how bad I play, to be honest, and right now I’m just trying to play as well as I can. The decision is up to the management, but I want to prove that I’m here to stay here.
“But you’ve got to look at it in realistic terms too.”
The interesting subplot is if — or when — St. Louis calls on Allen during the season.
The club has high hopes for a Stanley Cup run and won’t allow the effort to be derailed by poor goaltending. Should either Halak or Elliott falter, there’s a good chance the club would make a change.
Last year, the Blues responded to a “critical” point of the season by giving Allen the starting gig, and he responded by winning five straight games.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 34
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 49
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 33
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 49
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 50
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)