Sep 15, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
It would’ve been easy for Detroit Red Wings 22-year-old forward Tomas Tatar to be discouraged coming into training camp this year. After the team signed Daniel Alfredsson and brought back Dan Cleary, things are a bit crowded at forward for the team.
He might breathe a little easier today.
Red Wings GM Ken Holland told reporters today things are looking very up for the young Slovak.
“Tomas Tatar will be one of 14 forwards left standing,” he said.
Tatar is one of 16 forwards vying to make the team out of camp and reports earlier in the week had him feeling frustrated over the amount of competition, as MLive.com’s Ansar Khan reported.
After seeing the way he and Gustav Nyquist broke out last season (four goals, three assists in 18 games), it’s understandable why they could be frustrated about possibly having to go back to the AHL again this year.
As for now, it looks like Tatar is sticking around and the question shifts to who out of the 16 could be headed out of town.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5