Sep 15, 2013, 5:57 PM EDT
Mark Scheifele isn’t certain that he’ll even be able to stick with the Winnipeg Jets full-time in 2013-14, but if it all works out, he could be primed to make an early splash.
That’s especially true if the 20-year-old keeps the same linemates he skated with this weekend. The Winnipeg Free Press reports coach Claude Noel was impressed with what he saw from Scheifele alongside Evander Kane and Devin Setoguchi.
“They created some offence and I thought Scheifele really played a lot better in the third period,” Noel said of their work during Saturday’s Hockeyville contest against the Washington Capitals. “He came around and they looked like they were generating some chemistry as the game went on.”
That trio created two goals and five points yesterday, certainly a promising start.
While it’s crucial to note that Scheifele isn’t a guarantee to make the team in his third training camp attempt, it’s difficult to imagine him being demoted once again. The Jets didn’t make big offseason acquisitions and he’s done everything they can ask for at other levels.
Really, it’s hard not to pencil him as a serious 2014 Calder Trophy candidate, especially if he spends a lot of time with Kane and Setoguchi.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)